Left-handed FPS gamers: How do you do it?

Tek7 said:
Switching from using the WASD keys with my left hand to using the arrow keys with my right hand completely threw me off.

Arrow keys were default in Duke Nukem 3D and other older FPS games.

Especially when the arrow keys are to move and the A,S,D,W, were the look up, look down, sidestep left, sidestep right when I played DN3D. (Actually, the default is Page up and Page down to look up and down, but they are too close to the arrow keys.)

Everything is just backwards, from a right to left handed prespective.

Your Left Finger is the trigger, your Left Middle Finger is the zoom-in/out/special, etc on mouse.
Right Shift is walk, Right Ctrl is duck, Enter is jump, etc on keyboard. (My settings of course)

OR better yet, the Num keys: 8 to move forward, 5 to move backward, 4 to sidestep left, 6 to sidestep right, the rest could be whatever you want, the 7, 9, 1, 3, 0, Ins, .(Del) ,Enter, +, -, *, / those keys are enough for jumping, ducking, walking, etc.

Last edited:
Have you tried using the VI keys (HJKL)?

Good format that you're probably at least a little bit used to, and it puts so many bind-able buttons near your movement keys, AND you have one finger per movement key, which, by the way, is the secret to Zorak's excellent movement in UT2004.

When I played FPSs on my old laptop, I used the little mouse stick(it was an IBM) and the arrow keys - even though I'm right-handed. Just takes some getting used to.

Things I'm lefted handed with...
Writing
Drawing
Golf
Nose-picking
Eating
Brushing teeth

Things I'm right handed with...
Hockey
PC
Changing channels on TV
Pressing the spacebar