Latest and Greatest in Anime

tjguitarz

I got Netflix and realized that there were quite a few Anime titles available, so I thought I would give some a try. You folks are the only anime experts I know, so what's good out there? I enjoyed Samurai Champloo (thanks Tek). I'm a big fan of needless and excessive ninja-violence, humor, deep characters, and very very very good plots.

Last edited:
Cowboy Bebop is also a good introduction, IMO. Same people as Samurai Champloo so you'll probably like it.

I would suggest: Final Fantasy Unlimited, Outlaw Star, King of Bandit Jing, and thats all i can think of off the top my head

If you can't tell my my avatar, I'm a FLCL fan through and through. I enjoyed Trigun, but that's not really new.

If you want needless and excessive violence, you'll want to see Ninja Scroll if you haven't yet.

Story wise, I love Death Note (although the pacing seems better suited for the manga from what I have seen so far) and Code Geass (which I was referred to on these here forums) is starting up on Adult Swim soon, along with being released on DVD so I'd imagine Netflix will be getting it.

Hellsing. Its got blood. Gore. Excessive Violence (its about vampires, so that's pretty much a given...). Dunno about the humor part, as its been a while.

I've heard good things about Hellsing, but since Geneon stopped US production, is the series completely released? I'm sure I could find fansubs, but when I find series that I like, I try to buy them on disc, so I just didn't know if it was released all the way through here.

I think the tv series was completely released, but they've been making movies and I think they're up to three of them. Dunno about more.

Hellsing was completely released, I have the box set, but they are currently working on turning the Manga into Anime, and it is called the Ultimate Hellsing...

It may be time to start and sticky a "Anime Recommendations" thread. I think this is the third one now.

Oh well.

I acquire nearly all my new anime through BitTorrent + fansub group trackers, so I don't stay current on what's available in retail outlets. Waiting six months for horrible English voice acting and the "opportunity" to pay $30 for 4 episodes is absurd, especially considering most fansub groups sub and release episodes less than 7 days after the episode airs in Japan.

I recently finished Dennou Coil (aye, I'm a bit behind) and it was excellent. It has yet to be licensed, so you might consider firing up your favorite BT client and running a search on AnimeSuki.

I know Mai HiME and Noein are available in the US.

Mai HiME is one of my top 3 favorite series ever, so I wholeheartedly recommend it. The entire series is solid, but it really shines starting in episode 13 and moving forward.

My wife and I are waiting for Bandai to release a box set of the full Mai HiME series. When they do, and if the price is reasonable, we have every intention of buying the series. As it stands now, with 7 DVDs priced at $22 each ($168 total after Tulsa sales tax), there's no way we would spend that amount on any series--even our favorite.

Mai Otome, on the other hand, was a major disappointment after Mai HiME. Episode 4 features a PG-13 "tentacle monster in the school pool" scene. 'nuff said.

Noein is one of the better "parallel universe" stories and one of my top 10 favorites.

I can't stand gore and violence (not in live action, not in anime), so I didn't make it past the first four episodes of Hellsing.

Ninja Scroll is in no way, shape, or form appropriate for any age group of any sentient being in any corporeal form. It may be the only animated film more violent than Akira (though I haven't watched Kite or Jin Roh, because they're described as hyper-violent).

Read or Die TV is another of my favorites, along with Karin and Samurai Champloo (which, terrific as it is, is not appropriate for the youngin's).

Outlaw Star is a decent series, but pales in comparison to Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

Trigun is a solid choice, too. Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are like the "required reading" of 1990s anime.

I don't know if Shakugan no Shana is licensed yet, but that was another excellent series. Episode 24 of Shakugan no Shana Second airs April 3 in Japan and I'm hoping Static Subs & Eclipse subs it quickly. Great first series, great second series.

EDIT: You might be better off copying and pasting the anime series Netflix offers and asking for reviews or opinions on each one.

I know only a few.
  1. Big O
  2. Blood
  3. Trinity blood(Not related in any way to Blood)
  4. Trigun
  5. Rurouni Kenshin(spelling)
  6. Æon Flux
  7. Dragonball Z(Terrible anime but along with Æon Flux it was one of the benchmarks for modern day anime)
  8. Bleach
  9. Inuyasha
  10. Eureka(Pronounced ou-reka)

Out of all of them I think Blood was the best. The plot was amazing, the fighting was awesome and it is one of those that when it ends you are in a good mood while at the same time you can't stand the fact that it's over.

As it says above, Æon Flux and Dragonball Z are two of the oldest and while they are poor quality compared to what we watch today and they are an important part of anime history.(How do you like that for an unprofessional critic?)

Eureka, Bleach and Inuyasha were decent. The fighting was pretty cool, the plots were ok and the acting is just traditional annoying voices.

Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin and Trinity Blood were almost as good as Blood. Trigun is kind of a future western. Rurouni Kenshin is about a samurai who used to be evil(It is best to watch the Samurai X series before beginning the series). Trinity blood is where there are three empires and everyone is a vampire except for the people who took a serum to become immune to the bite.

Finally, Big O was very poor. The plot was only ok and the fighting made me feel like I was watching the Power Rangers when they make that giant robot thing.

Those are the ones I am most familiar with.

Have fun =D

P.S.
I forgot to mention Full Metal Alchemist. This one was even better than Blood. Edward and Al Elrik try to use Alchemy to bring their dead mother back. What they had forgotten was the first law of alchemy: Humankind cannot gain anything without giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal or greater value must be lost. In this case, it was Ed's left leg and his right arm and Al's entire body but not his spirit. Al was forced to be embodied in a giant Auto-mail body and Ed's arm and leg was replaced with an Auto-mail arm with the Alchemy Transmutation Circle on the palm and an Auto-mail leg. I should stop talking before I get too into it.

Anyway, enjoy. =)

Last edited:
Hey! I love Dragon Ball Z.

Is Animematrix Considered Anime? If so, Does anyone have a review?

Animetrix

The Animetrix is considered an anime mini-series. It is divided into four parts to show the matrix from four different points of view. It is full of lies and deceit(punishment from the machines for what mankind had put them through) and there is a great deal of action. Besides the Agents each part has its own plot and set of characters. While this mini-series is very enjoyable the Animetrix is not suitable for younger viewers as it contains violence, adult language, sexual content and gore.

Michael​

I used to like Dragonball Z. I have nothing against it and I appreciate the show because of what it gave to the world of anime but in my opinion it is just not something that would interest someone who had seen almost every episode from the time it came out.

I do apologize, you are right. I should have worded my opinion a bit differently.

I honestly lost touch with the DBZ series during the Buu episodes and everything after that just seems too crazy... the first DB and DBZ started with a great core of people that were sort of super human, but not superman. I just don't like the legendary Super Sayian being topped by SS2, SS3, SS4, etc, etc. It was like they were stretching the story line out way too far.

Man, I go so super geek for DBZ..I can't wait until my son is old enough to watch with me, talk about mom's worst nightmare :p

It makes me so happy when each new set of the $30 dvd boxes come out. Like 30+ episodes in each one :p

Someone should calculate how long it would take to watch all of DBZ for like 2 hours a day. While they are at it they should do the gundams, sooo many seasons.

Last I read there were 289 episodes (if you're referring stricly to DBZ and not DB and DBGT), but according to Ultimate DBZ's episode download section (not condoning downloading these in any way, merely the easiest reference point for me) it's 276. I believe 289 was in an ad for the new season box sets so I'll go with that.

If you say 289 episodes I'll say about 22 minutes because that seems standard, but they're uncut so maybe 25, but I'll still say 22.

You come up with 289 x 22 = 6358 minutes

6358 minutes = roughly 106 hours, so 53 days.

Maybe I'm wrong in my numbers, but that seems about right to me

Edit: UNLESS you decide on 4 episodes a day, that's about 72 days, so either way.

I know only a few
  1. Blood
  2. Inuyasha
  3. Trinity blood(Not related in any way to Blood
  4. Eureka(Pronounced ou-reka
Full Metal Alchemist
Those are my four favorites in that order. I've only seen a few episodes of Full Metal Alchemist but I liked what I saw.

FullMetal Alchemist would have to be one of my all time favorite anime, but it doesn't have excessive violence, blood, gore hence I didn't mention it. However, it does have an awesome storyline, humor, and some absolutely unforgettable characters and should be a must see for any anime fan. :D

Gundam Seed & Destiny are good, watching Ah! My Goddess now (recommend!), Azumanga Daioh is fun too.

Back