Lap top battery question

skvsr

I am playing one of those notorious HP laptops (Pavilion 6700) that gets quite warm while running. I have notice it seems to run cooler without the battery in place. Yes, the battery is almost useless and will not charge over 25% which goes real quick.

Any probs with leaving the battery out?

You know, that's interesting ... totally agree with FT's observation. My guess might be that removing the battery indirectly improves the thermals by basically creating a big exhaust port where the battery used to be? It's not so much that the battery causes heat directly, but its presence causes it to build up?

But the part about it not holding a charge might make a difference, too ... not so much with laptops but with, say, rechargable RC car batteries and such, they definitely heat up while charging. So it'd be weird, but if your laptop is 100% of the time working to try to charge your battery without success, maybe that is generating some heat as well.

To answer you last point, there really is no direct harm in running the machine without the battery in place. The DC supply should filter off any spikes and surges to prevent the computer getting fried.

Just know that every little power drop can cause your machine to reboot. Having the battery in place would at least allow you the time to save your work, shut down properly, etc.

Back