Knoppix

SSquared

Hey! I am excited to say this is my first post using Linux. I am planning to turn our old PII into a print server and possibly game server. I need something with remote/terminal login and I can't do that with Windows.

Someone at work got me Knoppix to try since it stays all on CD. Pretty cool. I've had some strange problems, but I've worked around them. For example, I need to have a Zip disk in my Zip drive or I can't get into the OS.

None of my configuration settings are getting saved, so I need to reconfigure things each reboot. But I think there may be a switch to flip if I want things saved.

In any case, I'm pretty exicted. If this works out, I was thinking of turning it into a CCGR game server. I have no idea when I'd get to that point. First and foremost, I just want a print server.

Anyone have experience using Knoppix? I may have questions.

SSquared,

Knoppix runs of the CD without putting naything on your hard drive. So that's why your settings don't save. If you want to use linux regularly install it onto your hard drive. Some of the easier distrobutions are Red Hat or Mandrake. SuSe is pretty good too.

That's odd with the zip drive it's beena while since I had one and I alsways kept a disk in there by habbit so I never noticed. Maybe the other distros wont be so picky...

Well, I'd like something that's free.  Also I noticed something about saving the home directory to the hard drive, which I thought might let me save my options.  It's just right now, I can't write anything to the drive.  In addition, there are some configurations I can't change because it's asking for a password and I have no idea what it might be.  Is there some default?

All of this is totally new to me.  Never used any of it before.  Knoppix may be a little overkill for what I am looking to do, but I definitely like how it's all in RAM and remains on the CD. Let's me play around with it without having to remove Windows.  And I also really like OpenOffice.

all the linux distros are free, if you buy from the store you get support. I don't know what the knoppix root password is I think you have to read the text carefully before logging on and it might say.

Back