June 25th, 2005

RED

Rainbows of Hope

Read Genesis 9:8-17

God said, "I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth."
-Genesis 9:13 (NRSV)

MY high-school physics teacher once observed that no two people ever see exactly the same rainbow in the sky. Although it may be the same sun shining through the same shower, each of us sees the sun at a slightly different angle, shining through a different set of raindrops. Therefore every rainbow is a unique experience for each observer.

So it is with life. Each of us may see similar storms of life. We may also be aware of God's grace shining during those storms. But the "rainbows" that renew hope are unique for each of us. Some we see during a gentle spring shower; others we see through the lens of tears. Each offers the same affirmation of hope that God gave to Noah long ago.

In my own life, I've seen many awe-inspiring sights that revealed to me God's presence in the world. But I've also seen many tragedies when God's presence didn't seem obvious at all. However, in these moments a "rainbow" often appeared to restore my faith, give me hope, and reassure me of God's continuing love.
W. Richard Turner (Pennsylvania, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
In the midst of life's storms, O God, may we see your rainbow of hope and grace that reminds us of your covenant and your infinite love for us. Amen

Back