June 21st, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Pray by the Spirit

Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.

-Ephesians 6:18 (NIV)

PRAYER has been a daily part of my life for many years. At times I have kept a prayer journal, read books on prayer, and attended retreats on prayer. Still I yearned to "pray better." I finally realized that my head (what I know) wasn't the problem; my heart (what I felt) was.

I learned to ask the Holy Spirit to help me pray when I was devastated by the suffering and death of my mother. Cancer took her quickly but not easily, leaving a gaping hole in my life. In my pain and questioning of God's mercy, I didn't know how to pray. Then I understood that I didn't have to know. All I needed was to ask the Holy Spirit, who turned the cries of my suffering into prayer to God.

In my study I had learned intellectually that the Holy Spirit prays for me according to God's will and will teach me how to pray. After my mother died, my heart also learned that it takes more than my human understanding; I need the wisdom and power of the Holy Spirit to intercede for me when I cannot pray myself.

Janet Sheely (Michigan, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
O God, lead us to know you through the Holy Spirit. May we rely on the Spirit to pray for us when we cannot. Amen.

Back