June 15th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Like Christ

Those whom God had already chosen he also set apart to become like his Son, so that the Son would be the first among many believers.

-Romans 8:29 (TEV)

I generally watch only Christian video productions, but I decided to watch the film Gandhi. I was challenged by Gandhi's faith. Though he was a Hindu, he studied the Bible and learned from and lived by its truth with more faith, more commitment, and more perseverance than I, a professing Christian. He prayed and fasted more often and showed more compassion, love, and concern for his people and dedication to his faith than I could imagine. He turned the other cheek when he was beaten and imprisoned. He held fast, courageous and unwavering, in all trials. He showed no double-mindedness or doubt. (See James 1:7.)

After seeing the movie, I made a decision: If I'm going to call myself a Christian, I'm going to be like Christ. If I'm going to hear the word, I'm going to live it. Gandhi remained calm when suffering ridicule and was unafraid of his enemies. He resisted evil without resorting to violence. Watching him, I realized that I am not like Jesus and that I need the help of the Holy Spirit to do what pleases God.

Heather James (Queensland, Australia)

Prayer:
God, in Christ's holy name, forgive us for being presumptuous, taking you for granted, and not living as your word tells us to. Conform us to the image of Christ. Amen.

Back