July 30th, 2005

RED

Lost Sheep

Read Ezekiel 34:11-16

God says, "As shepherds seek out their flock . . . so I will seek out my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places to which they have been scattered."
Ezekiel 34:12 (NRSV)

FEAR and anxiety for my youngest son gripped me. He seemed to be headed in a direction opposed to the one on which his father and I had tried to set him. We had been part of the church while he was growing up; but now, as an adult, he seemed angry and bent on destroying himself. He was drinking and struggling with troubles. Rather than seeking God's comfort and direction, he blamed God.

One night, my fears for him were overwhelming, and I could not sleep. I reached for my copy of The Upper Room and a Bible, and I begged God to speak to me. To my dismay, the scripture for that day was Ezekiel 34:11-16. Usually I find Ezekiel anything but comforting, so I silently cried out, There will be no easing of my mind this night! How surprised I was to read these beautiful words of promise and assurance: "I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed" (Ezek. 34:16).

Reading those words, I came to believe that God would rescue my son from anger and drinking and bring him back into relationship with God. No longer afraid for my son, I gave thanks for God's compassion and promises. And then I slept peacefully!
Linda Reynolds (Michigan, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Thank you, Good Shepherd, for seeking out the lost and bringing them home. Amen

Back