July 22nd, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
A Kiss and a Pansy

No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

-1 John 4:12 (NIV)

UPON leaving Great-grandma's house on weekly childhood visits, I could be assured of two things: a kiss and a pansy. Even now I can picture my grandma's sweet, rosy face peering through the car window as she motioned me to roll down the glass. While she pressed her lips against my cheek, she would slip a delicate pansy into my hand.

Every time, I was afraid she would forget, but she never did. It was a simple act, but I would have been disappointed by its loss. Her affectionate parting was a memento of her love for me and, at the same time, a constant reminder of God's love.

As Christians, our displays of affection to others reflect God's unconditional love. Even though our earthly eyes cannot see the spiritual form of God, we can see God's love for us in the loving actions of godly people. Then, when we hug our children good-bye or give food to a hungry person, we are completing God's unfailing love within ourselves. When we bestow that "kiss and pansy," we offer a glimpse of God to everyone we meet.

Shannon Romtvedt (Oregon, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
God, whose name is love, help us to show your love through our own. Amen.

Back