July 13th, 2005

RED

Pure Motives?

Read Philippians 1:15-18
Let love be genuine.
Romans 12:9 (NRSV)

A team of youth and adults from our church went on a work mission trip to Appalachia. We were assigned to help a family living in a remote rural area. Their house was in need of repair. The family received us warmly, but one day the father asked me, "Why did you come here to help us?" For a few seconds I was surprised, but then I answered, "Because of Christ's love for you." But I wondered, Did he suspect we had some ulterior motive in coming? Was it too much to believe that strangers would one day show up to help improve their living conditions?

That father's question is a piercing one. In seeking to help others in need, what is my real motivation? Do I help because I need strokes and affirmation? Am I seeking to impress others by my good works?

These are valuable questions to ask. But I also realize that we don't have to wait until our motives are completely pure. As with my experience, sometimes God speaks to us in the doing and calls us to faith.
Don Joiner (North Carolina, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Gracious God, purify our hearts so that as we serve others your love will be shared and your name honored. Amen

Back