Journey

Stc95

Tribe of Judah Guild Wars Chapter Leader
ok i wrote this on the second week of school this year. we call it our Journey. My teacher said get out a pad of paper and pen and he gave us seven prompts to write on. Each prompt or object figuratively means something. I thought i didnt do to bad. (FYI: this has had no revision and was created at the top of my head.) Comments and critizism warmly accepted. Enjoy! :D

Journey​

As I walked down the path the trees became denser, the light slowly begins to hide. I look around wondering why I would walk down here. In the faint distance I hear a jaguar call, it sends shivers down my spine.

I can feel the moist hot air on my exposed arms. I hear a monkey not too far off climbing through the trees. I am alone. I am nervous. I am in the jungle.

I continue to walk deeper into the tall foliage light continues to disappear. The trail becomes narrower and less defined. Soon the trail is gone. I am truly on my own now. I don’t even have a machete to cut through the vines. Yet I still walk on.

After hearing another jaguar call I turn and look behind me. For some time now I have felt a faint felling of danger behind me. I turn back around and what little light came through reflected off a small object.

I bent down and picked it up. The marvelous craftsmanship of this object was amazing. It appeared to be some kind of goblet, though I’ve never seen one so beautiful. It had a long thin shaft running up to the bowl, which was shining gold. It was housing many gems of all kinds.

As I look at this goblet more and more, I forget about the danger I am almost certain that is there. I admire the goblet’s beauty more. I lightly tap it and a sudden, heavenly ring came out from it. The ring lasted more then it should have. I look inside the cup and find a faint scripture inside. I dusted the inside off and the words began to glow lightly.

I tried to read the words but with the light and dust it was impossible to read. I stick it in my backpack and then move on. I came apon a small stream just a little ways down. The water was crystal clear, with many minerals flowing through. I knelt down and took the water in my hands. The water was cool and refreshing. I splashed my face and took out my goblet. I dipped it in the running water and I could see the dirt and dust float away down the stream.

I filled the goblet with water and brought it up to drink. As I brought the cup up I saw the inscription glowing more. I poured out the water and tried to read the words again. The letters were alien to me. I had never seen something like this. I became more nervous when the sense of danger grew over the past minute and the fact that this sentence is alien frightened me even more.

I filled the goblet again and drank the water. It was the best tasting water I have ever drank. I felt the rejuvenated and the sense of danger lessened. I slowly continued up the stream.

I walked up stream when I saw the jaguar I have been hearing all day jumps down from a tree and start drinking from the stream. I froze, not frightened but as instinct told me so. He just continued to drink not noticing me, or at least not deciding to eat me. As I stood frozen I saw the beauty of him, his black coat of fur glistened of the little light that shown through. It was the most magnificent cat I had ever seen.

The jaguar finished drinking and picked up its head. As it began to walk away it saw me. I tensed up, though I could not think this marvelous beast capable of killing, yet I knew it could. It walked closer to me. I still froze, but any sense of danger that I should have was gone. I relaxed a little, learning to trust my instinct more then anything.

It continued toward me. As he came to about ten feet in front of me he stopped. Yet I still fell no danger. I walked forward a step. He didn’t move. I took another step. Nothing. Now I closed the gap between us. I stood closer then arms reach with this deadly creature. I reached out to pet him. He walked forward purring and wrapped his body all through out my legs as all cats do.

His coat was a silky magnificent feeling. This fur would make a fine coat, but I could never kill this beast. I sat down on a nearby rock and played with this gentle giant. He laid down and curled up besides me and purred. I could feel him purring all throughout my body. It was a strong deep sound that was relaxing. His gentle purring lulled me to sleep.

When I woke up I found him gone, still amazed by his beauty and clam. I walked up-stream more. The stream started to widen to a large pool. I could see fish inside swimming about.

I looked up from the hypnotic swimming fish and saw a marvelous sight. It was huge, at least thirty feet high. It looked to be a temple, or tomb of some sort. The outside walls glisten with the reflection of gold and silver. Inscriptions, similar to the goblet’s were carved on all the walls. I walked to the small patio under an arch. I stood next to a pillar with drawings that I could not tell what they meant.

I looked at the door and pushed it open. It was dark and moist inside with a lone fire burning on a raised platform. I grabbed a torch hanging just inside the door and walked over to the fire, I could not see anything on my walk to the fire. I lit my torch and walked over to the closest wall, inside the wall was gems and jewels of all sizes.

I walked to another wall and found more gems and beautiful drawings. I walked back to toward the fire still amazed by the beauty that the dark hides so well. I noticed that the fire was in a small bowl. No wood or oil was feeding the flame either. It was just there. Odd. I looked at my torch; it wasn’t burning either. I reached into my backpack and brought out the goblet. Holding it in my left hand I reached for the fire with my right. I slowly tense as my hand creeps closer. I close my eyes and continue to push my hand into the mysterious flame. Feeling no heat I open my eyes to see if I missed the fire.

Opening my eyes I see my hand in the middle of the fire! Yet I was not burning nor in pain. I pulled my arm out and it seemed perfectly normal. Now I looked into the goblet to find the scriptures inside it burning with light, as in something was calling it and it was yelling back. The fire grew more intense with my knowledge of this. I slowly dipped the goblet into the fire, I pulled it out and inside the cup was a small fire burning inside.

Next to the fire bowl was a small circular indent just big enough for the base of my goblet. I placed it there. The fire in the goblet grew and reached a small wire above it, the wire snapped, swinging down a hammer, knocking over my goblet next to a pool of liquid. Surprised by what just happened I jumped to pick up my goblet. Just as I reached it the liquid ignited sending flame down a small canal, lighting up the other section of the temple. The canal came to a T and the flame split both ways continuing to push the darkness away. All throughout the temple light bounced off gold, silver, gems, jewels everything that you can imagine.

The fire came together again and lit a small pillar. Upon this pillar of fire was a sword. Not just any sword though, it was the perfect sword. Walking down a path toward the sword I ignored all the shiny objects that was piled all over this huge room. I reached the sword. The hilt was adorned with gems and a lone shape engraved on it, the blade was slightly curved but finely crafted. I look back across the room and saw the mass amounts of riches that only kings could dream of. The whole room, previously dark, was filled with a bright blinding light.

I took the sword and walked back to my goblet. I don’t know why I didn’t take anything but nothing seemed important besides the sword. I reached my goblet still on its side with its small fire inside burning. I picked it up and left the temple and all its riches. I put the goblet inside my backpack, knowing it would not burn it and walked down a slightly defined path.

I continued down the path getting harder to define. I walked until the foliage tries to take over me as it did before, but this time I have my sword and cut through the attacking vines and branches. The path continues to be rough and hard to follow but it is better then before.

The trees and plants seam to abruptly stop not too far ahead. Bare earth lies after it. Wondering why the jungle would just stop I run ahead my curiosity controlling me. As I reached the tree line I stop utterly frozen. All I see is a wall but not your average seven-foot wall this wall was enormous. It was made of rock and soil packed tight. It was about 15 feet tall. I look to the left and see it running to the horizon, I look to the right and see it reaching the high peeks of far off mountains. I don’t know what will await me on the other side, but I am resolved to get around or through this wall.

Not knowing if there is a gate or not I pick a direction and walk. After a few hours I see a gate with people heading in. Hungry and tired I walk over to the gate. The guards let me pass, obviously bored with where they’re stationed. As I entered through the wall I am greeted with a sprawling metropolis. A huge city teaming with people.

Everywhere I look I see people and children. It is absolutely amazing. A piece of paper floats down at my feet. On it is written with the alien language that was at the temple and on the goblet. To make a long story short, I settle down in that city, learned their language, and became a promising member of their community, with my possession of an amazing sword and a goblet of fire.

either its really good, or its really bad. anything guys?

My apologies STC - I don't know how this post got by me but I just didn't see it at all until today.

This is very good writing, I'm definitely impressed. I'm going to make some specific comments paragraph by paragraph to give you food for thought.

As I walked down the path the trees became denser, the light slowly begins to hide. I look around wondering why I would walk down here. In the faint distance I hear a jaguar call, it sends shivers down my spine.

Light hiding is a bit awkward - its hard to visualize light as an active, physical thing. I wouldn't say 'I hear a jaguar call', I would describe exactly what a jaguar call sounds like and let the reader experience his own spinal shivers.

(Wow I got to use the phrase 'spinal shivers', that made my day..:cool: )

I can feel the moist hot air on my exposed arms. I hear a monkey not too far off climbing through the trees. I am alone. I am nervous. I am in the jungle.

This is all great except the last sentence. Let the reader come to that conclusion himself. If you don't think he can, provide more clues beyond the monkey.

I continue to walk deeper into the tall foliage light continues to disappear. The trail becomes narrower and less defined. Soon the trail is gone. I am truly on my own now. I don’t even have a machete to cut through the vines. Yet I still walk on.

Why do you walk on? And how do you manage it, if a machete would normally be needed to cut through the vines?

After hearing another jaguar call I turn and look behind me. For some time now I have felt a faint felling of danger behind me. I turn back around and what little light came through reflected off a small object.

I bent down and picked it up. The marvelous craftsmanship of this object was amazing. It appeared to be some kind of goblet, though I’ve never seen one so beautiful. It had a long thin shaft running up to the bowl, which was shining gold. It was housing many gems of all kinds.

As I look at this goblet more and more, I forget about the danger I am almost certain that is there. I admire the goblet’s beauty more. I lightly tap it and a sudden, heavenly ring came out from it. The ring lasted more then it should have. I look inside the cup and find a faint scripture inside. I dusted the inside off and the words began to glow lightly.

I tried to read the words but with the light and dust it was impossible to read. I stick it in my backpack and then move on. I came apon a small stream just a little ways down. The water was crystal clear, with many minerals flowing through. I knelt down and took the water in my hands. The water was cool and refreshing. I splashed my face and took out my goblet. I dipped it in the running water and I could see the dirt and dust float away down the stream.

I filled the goblet with water and brought it up to drink. As I brought the cup up I saw the inscription glowing more. I poured out the water and tried to read the words again. The letters were alien to me. I had never seen something like this. I became more nervous when the sense of danger grew over the past minute and the fact that this sentence is alien frightened me even more.

I filled the goblet again and drank the water. It was the best tasting water I have ever drank. I felt the rejuvenated and the sense of danger lessened. I slowly continued up the stream.

I think you did a good job with this, but I would have liked a little more mystery about the object instead of (almost immediately) being told it is a jewelled goblet. Here's what I'd most enjoy as the reader - first, a glimpse of something, maybe half-buried in the ground. Then, the glint of gold or perhaps an exposed gemstone. Then, after picking it up, we see that it is some kind of vessel or container now, maybe we can tell it is a goblet, maybe can see a few letters of an inscription. Then as it is washed off, we experience the revelation along with the character of exactly how stunning and mysterious the object is. In other words, a more gradual progression of information, because I like mystery and figuring things out myself as a reader instead of being told outright.

I walked up stream when I saw the jaguar I have been hearing all day jumps down from a tree and start drinking from the stream. I froze, not frightened but as instinct told me so. He just continued to drink not noticing me, or at least not deciding to eat me. As I stood frozen I saw the beauty of him, his black coat of fur glistened of the little light that shown through. It was the most magnificent cat I had ever seen.

The jaguar finished drinking and picked up its head. As it began to walk away it saw me. I tensed up, though I could not think this marvelous beast capable of killing, yet I knew it could. It walked closer to me. I still froze, but any sense of danger that I should have was gone. I relaxed a little, learning to trust my instinct more then anything.

You have a good opportunity here for some real nail-biting suspense when this very dangerous animal jumps down from a tree unexpectedly, but I think you deflate it too quickly when the jaguar immediately goes to drink from the stream. Its too early a hint that the animal isn't really dangerous to your POV character, which robs the reader of suspense.

It continued toward me. As he came to about ten feet in front of me he stopped. Yet I still fell no danger. I walked forward a step. He didn’t move. I took another step. Nothing. Now I closed the gap between us. I stood closer then arms reach with this deadly creature. I reached out to pet him. He walked forward purring and wrapped his body all through out my legs as all cats do.

His coat was a silky magnificent feeling. This fur would make a fine coat, but I could never kill this beast. I sat down on a nearby rock and played with this gentle giant. He laid down and curled up besides me and purred. I could feel him purring all throughout my body. It was a strong deep sound that was relaxing. His gentle purring lulled me to sleep.

When I woke up I found him gone, still amazed by his beauty and clam. I walked up-stream more. The stream started to widen to a large pool. I could see fish inside swimming about.

You do a great job making me really love that animal! :) I love these paragraphs. Again though, this whole moment would be even more effective and meaningful if I worried up to this point whether the creature would rip your character's throat out. :D

I looked up from the hypnotic swimming fish and saw a marvelous sight. It was huge, at least thirty feet high. It looked to be a temple, or tomb of some sort. The outside walls glisten with the reflection of gold and silver. Inscriptions, similar to the goblet’s were carved on all the walls. I walked to the small patio under an arch. I stood next to a pillar with drawings that I could not tell what they meant.

I looked at the door and pushed it open. It was dark and moist inside with a lone fire burning on a raised platform. I grabbed a torch hanging just inside the door and walked over to the fire, I could not see anything on my walk to the fire. I lit my torch and walked over to the closest wall, inside the wall was gems and jewels of all sizes.

I find it a little awkward that something as large and glitzy as the temple/tomb is suddenly just there. Maybe your character could notice its reflection in the water as he walked downstream, or something.

I walked to another wall and found more gems and beautiful drawings. I walked back to toward the fire still amazed by the beauty that the dark hides so well. I noticed that the fire was in a small bowl. No wood or oil was feeding the flame either. It was just there. Odd. I looked at my torch; it wasn’t burning either. I reached into my backpack and brought out the goblet. Holding it in my left hand I reached for the fire with my right. I slowly tense as my hand creeps closer. I close my eyes and continue to push my hand into the mysterious flame. Feeling no heat I open my eyes to see if I missed the fire.

Opening my eyes I see my hand in the middle of the fire! Yet I was not burning nor in pain. I pulled my arm out and it seemed perfectly normal. Now I looked into the goblet to find the scriptures inside it burning with light, as in something was calling it and it was yelling back. The fire grew more intense with my knowledge of this. I slowly dipped the goblet into the fire, I pulled it out and inside the cup was a small fire burning inside.

Next to the fire bowl was a small circular indent just big enough for the base of my goblet. I placed it there. The fire in the goblet grew and reached a small wire above it, the wire snapped, swinging down a hammer, knocking over my goblet next to a pool of liquid. Surprised by what just happened I jumped to pick up my goblet. Just as I reached it the liquid ignited sending flame down a small canal, lighting up the other section of the temple. The canal came to a T and the flame split both ways continuing to push the darkness away. All throughout the temple light bounced off gold, silver, gems, jewels everything that you can imagine.

The fire came together again and lit a small pillar. Upon this pillar of fire was a sword. Not just any sword though, it was the perfect sword. Walking down a path toward the sword I ignored all the shiny objects that was piled all over this huge room. I reached the sword. The hilt was adorned with gems and a lone shape engraved on it, the blade was slightly curved but finely crafted. I look back across the room and saw the mass amounts of riches that only kings could dream of. The whole room, previously dark, was filled with a bright blinding light.

I took the sword and walked back to my goblet. I don’t know why I didn’t take anything but nothing seemed important besides the sword. I reached my goblet still on its side with its small fire inside burning. I picked it up and left the temple and all its riches. I put the goblet inside my backpack, knowing it would not burn it and walked down a slightly defined path.

I continued down the path getting harder to define. I walked until the foliage tries to take over me as it did before, but this time I have my sword and cut through the attacking vines and branches. The path continues to be rough and hard to follow but it is better then before.

The trees and plants seam to abruptly stop not too far ahead. Bare earth lies after it. Wondering why the jungle would just stop I run ahead my curiosity controlling me. As I reached the tree line I stop utterly frozen. All I see is a wall but not your average seven-foot wall this wall was enormous. It was made of rock and soil packed tight. It was about 15 feet tall. I look to the left and see it running to the horizon, I look to the right and see it reaching the high peeks of far off mountains. I don’t know what will await me on the other side, but I am resolved to get around or through this wall.

Not knowing if there is a gate or not I pick a direction and walk. After a few hours I see a gate with people heading in. Hungry and tired I walk over to the gate. The guards let me pass, obviously bored with where they’re stationed. As I entered through the wall I am greeted with a sprawling metropolis. A huge city teaming with people.

Everywhere I look I see people and children. It is absolutely amazing. A piece of paper floats down at my feet. On it is written with the alien language that was at the temple and on the goblet. To make a long story short, I settle down in that city, learned their language, and became a promising member of their community, with my possession of an amazing sword and a goblet of fire.

I'm running out of time to critique so I'm not going to go point by point through the rest, but will only say that you're doing a great job with your writing. A few little things here and there can improve it - just always try to think about what your reader wants to experience, and don't be afraid to withhold information from your reader - trust me, the reader really likes to be abused in that way. ;)

Paul

thanks Paul, i almost gave up on this post. I dont think i did a bad job for coming in to class early in the morning and sitting and writing haveing absolutly no idea what i was to do.
i am going to start writing some more but right now Guild Wars seems so much more fun then writing. Thanks again!

lol STC :D - writing isn't really fun, that's a bit of a myth. Its actually WORK and most writers (even good ones) struggle and moan and pull their hair out until they've finally completed the process and come up with something cool. It is worth the effort though, and it does get easier and more natural with practice.

I hope that you can take a little time from that busy Guild Wars-playing schedule of yours to participate in the writing assignment - it will be open until the end of the month, and for a creative guy like you I bet it won't take you even an hour to come up with a short <500 word entry for it. Thanks again for sharing your writing with us - and if you decide to go back and revise your work, please be sure to post your revision.

Paul

lol STC :D - writing isn't really fun, that's a bit of a myth.

I completely disagree with you. :p Writing is the most fun I have outside of hanging out with friends and playing Halo (although, whenever I'm doing either, my mind constantly drifts back to my book).

I completely disagree with you. :p Writing is the most fun I have outside of hanging out with friends and playing Halo (although, whenever I'm doing either, my mind constantly drifts back to my book).

Well :p back at ya and another :p just for good measure.

Paul

Back