January 9

Wh1te Out

I'm starting to really wonder about Abraham's behavior. For the second time we now see Abraham giving his wife to another man out of fear (Genesis 20:2). Yet for some reason, God holds Abraham blameless in his lies/deceit? This is really confusing to me and I don't understand why the Lord would endorse Abraham doing such a thing. Also in this reading, though, the Lord follows through with a promise and Sarah gives Abraham a son. It is refreshing to see that God will always deliver what He says He will.

"Beware of a wolf in sheep's clothing," is the basic idea of the first verse we read in Matthew today. This famous line is Biblical. Did you know that before today? Jesus is teaching a crowd and it is written that the crowd is "amazed" because Jesus "taught with real authority - quite unlike their teachers of religious law." Does this mean that they recognized Him and accepted Him as the Son of God, or does this just mean that He spoke forcefully and bluntly and didn't beat around the bush?

"The Lord is a shelter for the oppressed,
a refuge in times of trouble.
Those who know your name trust in you,
for you, O Lord, do not abandon those who search for you." (Psalm 9:1-12)

Readings for January 9

Back