January 15, 2007 - March of Time

Genesis1315

Ladies
January 15, 2007
March of time
By John Fischer

Everyone wants to be significant. We want our lives to mean something in a wider context. Some try to buy significance through their accomplishments or their wealth and possessions. They may succeed in this but only for a short while. Think of the great kings and pharaohs who tried to carry significance into the grave with them. All they got was the march of time and time has a very poor memory. If you’ve ever read gravestones, you have discovered there was a period in history when the most popular thing to put on a grave stone was: “Gone, but not forgotten.” It’s always poignant to see that statement barely legible or overgrown with weeds.

Significance is very elusive. It is one of those things you can never find when you are seeking it. Try and be significant and that’s the last thing you will be, and this is a true statement even in an age of marketing, image, and sound bites, when notoriety can be created almost overnight. The religious hypocrites of Jesus’ day tried to do this, and this is what Jesus said about them:

“When you give a gift to someone in need, don’t shout about it as the hypocrites do – blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I assure you, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone, don’t tell your left hand what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in secret, and your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you.” (Matthew 6:2-4 NLT)

True significance comes by way of being other-minded. It is never self-serving; significance is the result of serving others. And true significance comes from being recognized by God, even if it’s in secret (and it usually is). I’m thinking about all the “little people” who will be big time in heaven. God has such a different view of this than we do.

Try this: When you are with others today, ask them how they are doing instead of talking about yourself. It’s a simple way to start thinking outside of your own head. I know about this because I get stuck in my own head all the time. I think as if other people exist for me when it should be the other way around. You and I exist to serve others. Let’s actually spend some time thinking about how we’re going to do that today.

The above content is provided in its entirety from purposedrivenlife.com and used with the full permission of the website. Additional archives of the Purpose Driven Life devotionals can be found in their archive.

Back