Jan. 30, 2004

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Samuel was afraid to tell Eli the vision
—1 Samuel 3:15

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]God never speaks to us in dramatic ways, but in ways that are easy to misunderstand. Then we say, "I wonder if that is God’s voice?" Isaiah said that the Lord spoke to him "with a strong hand," that is, by the pressure of his circumstances ( Isaiah 8:11 ). Without the sovereign hand of God Himself, nothing touches our lives. Do we discern His hand at work, or do we see things as mere occurrences?

Get into the habit of saying, "Speak, Lord," and life will become a romance ( 1 Samuel 3:9 ). Every time circumstances press in on you, say, "Speak, Lord," and make time to listen. Chastening is more than a means of discipline—it is meant to bring me to the point of saying, "Speak, Lord." Think back to a time when God spoke to you. Do you remember what He said? Was it Luke 11:13 , or was it 1 Thessalonians 5:23 ? As we listen, our ears become more sensitive, and like Jesus, we will hear God all the time.

Should I tell my "Eli" what God has shown to me? This is where the dilemma of obedience hits us. We disobey God by becoming amateur providences and thinking, "I must shield ’Eli,’ " who represents the best people we know. God did not tell Samuel to tell Eli—he had to decide that for himself. God’s message to you may hurt your "Eli," buttrying to prevent suffering in another’s life will prove to be an obstruction between your soul and God. It is at your own risk that you prevent someone’s right hand being cut off or right eye being plucked out (see Matthew 5:29-30 ).

Never ask another person’s advice about anything God makes you decide before Him. If you ask advice, you will almost always side with Satan. ". . . I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood . . ." ( Galatians 1:16 ).

my son is 1 year old today. And like any 1 year old, he's curious about everything. He wants to know what's behind every door, in every cabinet. If it opens, he wants in. It's perfectly natural, perfectly understanble. A part of him growing up.

Yet I spank him (and tell him 'No') everytime he goes into the kitchen. Why? Because he could be hurt in there. The stove could be own, he could pull a pan out of the cabinent onto his head, he could eat the cat food, or worse, the cat litter. The kitchen is not designed for him, so I punish him for going in. Likewise, even though he knows he's not supposed to go in there, he still tries, even though, we tell him no, before he ever steps into the kitchen, he still goes in there. Why? Because he's curious.

Now how often are we like this? God chastises us for doing something, and we, rather than learning, go and do it again. God tells us to do (or not do) something, and rather than listening, we go and do it.

God doesn't tell us things in as overt a fashion as I tell my son, but we can still hear Him, if we take the time to listen. Think today, not on what you want to do, not on how things are affecting you, but rather think on what God's trying to tell you. Look, listen, feel. God is out there, whispering in his still small voice, begging for you to pay Him some attention.

Back