Jabber Implementation Project

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
Greetings, all! I am currently seeking techies to help start and operate a Jabber server. For those who haven't heard, Jabber is an instant messaging protocol. Unlike the four major instant messaging networks, Jabber is not owned by one corporation or company. It is decentralized. Many of its clients and servers are open-source. This is instant messaging as it should have been all along.

I'd like to have four or more people involved with this project, but three would be sufficient. Some of the tasks for the project include:

- research Jabber server programs
- choose, download Jabber server install
- configure Jabber server install
- research Jabber clients
- suggest a standard Jabber client
- write, post documentation to the CGA web site

This network would be used for private communication between CGA staff members to start, but might very well expand to the community at large.

I would definitely like to see Que Pasa, Mad Chengman, and Plankeye involved with this project as they have a history of knowing more about open source technologies than me. *g*

So, if you want to help make a CGA Jabber server a reality, please contact me at tek7 AT cgalliance DOT org. I'll be naming a team lead as soon as possible and handing more details out to the team once it's established.

I'll do whatever I can, though I might not have as much time as I'd like to help, what with school and all.

If we haven't started on this yet, I've got a fully functional gentoo linux server up and running on my home connection which would be a prime testing ground for jabber, unless we choose go go with a Windows jabber server.

Edit: In fact, I'm installing the jabber daemon ebuild as we speak, should be up in about 20 minutes.

i would go with the linux jabber server...more stable

yeah i would love to have our own jabber server...i have gaim, so it's i'd be happy to switch servers to this one

i don't know how much help i'll be, but if you need any...let me know

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Que Pasa @ Mar. 01 2004,4:34)]I've got a fully functional gentoo linux server up and running on my home connection which would be a prime testing ground for jabber
When you have the server up and running, please e-mail me and the others interested in this project or, if you prefer, post the server IP address in reply to this thread.

The Jabber server is up and running, no gateways enabled yet.

que.ath.cx:5223 for SSL-enabled (encrypted) conversations
que.ath.cx:5222 for clear text (highly insecure) conversations
As for jabber clients, those with trillian pro can download a plugin from the trillian website. Otherwise go to http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.php and pick one, I'm unfamiliar with all of those, as I use trillian pro.

I am currently working on getting the conferenceing module to load, and the server may be going up and down 2-3 times when I decide to test it, I'll send out a server-wide message when it is up.

So come on and test this thing.

I'm excited about getting this project off the ground and running. As I have more free time while searching for my next job, I'm going to be helping with this project and eventually running a peer server with Que Pasa to help the load.

In that line:
JIDS are as follows:
chrisesau@que.ath.cx
chrisesau@jabber.org
chrisesau@myjabber.net

I've got some others, but those are the main ones I can be found with. I'll be primarily on the *jabber.org JID all the time, the *que.ath.cx while testing the server, and the *myjabber.net when I'm testing clients for functionality and such so we can make a recommendation to ya'll of which clientes are going to work best.

If anyone has any thoughts, or has used any Jabber clients, you're welcome to email me at malvegil@esaus.com with your comments and recommendations about clients. Or you can leave a message here. =)

Thanks.

The server is currently down, I can't seem to get the conference rooms working, I've close to exhausted my options. If someone thinks they can help, I'll let you in as root.

The box went down a couple days back, I'm home now, and I've fixed it. You say you were going to install jabber pro? Tell me when you want to do that or toss the package my way and I'll do it.

If interest in this project continues, I'll be putting some resources together for a project team. QuePasa, unless he objects, would be the team lead.

I'm all right with that.

Also the jabber server is going to be down until I figure out who mentioned that alternative jabber package, and get it installed.

I've gone back with the Gentoo Ebuilds and just put the server up. It doesn't look like conferencing works still, but the ssl encryption and basic messaging functions work. You can only connect via the SSL port now, that is que.ath.cx:5223. Go ahead and create accounts, do whatever, mine is que@que.ath.cx.

I've just about given up on the conferencing module, if anyone feels they can take a crack at the conferencing module (Plank, Chengman?) please ICQ me or something and I'll give you access.

I've set Trillian to automatically connect to your Jabber server again, Que. Just so you know.
biggrin.gif

Back