Issues with my Custom PC

Corpfox

Its driving me mad.

I re-installed steam 3 times!
90% of running Counter-Strike: Source, beginning or mid-game, it crashes.
75% of running Starcraft, beginning or mid-game, gives out discoloration; rainbow colors.

With my old computer, it hasn't given me big issues above, except for low fps rates on all high graphical games, but the games are still runnable! :mad:

I've gotten every possible update of this year I can possibililty find!

Running:

Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4Ghz
4 Gig of OCZ PC3200 Platinum Ram
320 Gig Sata2 Seagate Hard Drive
5 Layer Samsung CD/DVD/CD-RW/DVD-RW Rom
256 MB ATI Radeon X800 XT PE AGP Video Card
Windows XP Proffessional x64 Edition Operating System
2 120mm Case Fans, 1 80mm Side Panel case fan, 1 CPU fan
450 Watt Power Supply

Using:

Microsoft Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
HP 17' Inch LCD Monitor with built-in speakers

Right now, I'm trying it; Memory Hole disabled since it did not show I was using 4 gigs of ram. Currently using less than 3 Gigs of ram (2928 MB RAM)

bring up speedfan and look for discrepencies in tempature or voltage.

voltage shoulnt vary more then .01v on anything, temps shoulnt be above 50C

if the thermal and voltages look ok, then most likely you are having memory errors. I forgot which tool i used to check when i was overclocking. any memory error is very bad.

if speedfan looks ok then download memtest86 (zip/iso) and burn the iso to a cd. boot of the cd and let it run for 10-20 minutes. if any errors appear then you will need to double check the memory settings in the bios. you may be having a latency issue with the large amount of memory you have, and may need to adjust accordingly

if speedfan looks ok then download memtest86 (zip/iso) and burn the iso to a cd. boot of the cd and let it run for 10-20 minutes.

It would really help, if it wasn't german. :mad:

http://www.download.com/Memtest86/3000-2086_4-10524192.html?tag=lst-0-1
http://www.memtest86.com/

I've downloaded from both site and burned it on 2 different cds.

As soon as I run it on DOS, it shows it is german, not english!

Is there an english version, or those sites above are the wrong downloads?

And I think it does require a diskette drive, which I do not have.

it doesnt do anything with dos, you have to boot off the burned cd.

And then what!?

It gives me a DOS prompt, an A:\ Drive, C:\ Drive and D:\ Drive.

Then tell what am I suppose to do other than boot me into DOS prompt and show me drivers.

1st CD thats been burned, says it requires a diskette drive. I don't have a diskette drive, but since this is annoying, I'd have to get one just to make this program to work!

2nd CD thats been burned, just shows me a ISO file, either, DOS prompt can't use it or its for Linux only.

Once I put the burned CD into my CD Drive, and restart or turn off and on the PC, it will boot me into DOS prompt, nothing more.

Last edited:
avhe hte latest AGP drivers installed. Next make sure you have the latest Directx version installed. Make sure you have .net 1.x and all updates installed. Then make sure you have hte latest catalyst drivers installed.

Running:...Windows XP Proffessional x64 Edition Operating System

It is very difficult since I did not know 85% of software is not compatible with my OS.

Also what 450 hat power supply do you ahve?

I don't know what brand, it came with the case. I was thinking of getting a 550W ThermalTake PSU, but I didn't know some cases come with PSUs.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15439&vpn=XION-BK&manufacture=Xion

Is there any drivers I'm missing that requires my OS?

I've downloaded the latest and it keeps saying its not compatible with my OS. ARGH!

I can't update my AGP driver when it says my OS already has it and if does, I need a special patch!

Last edited:
ATI :eek:

My computer problems were solved when I got rid of my ATI $400 piece of trash!

a while ago I had a problem with high graphic/memory games where I would play it for a while and then it would completely crash and forced me to reboot... I used Prime95 to determine that one of my memory sticks got damaged somehow but only failed under extreme load, stunk but I had to remove that stick and it worked fine there out.

hescominsoon said:
That's your biggest issue is you are running xp64. Drivers are not matured for that yet and software compatibility is not very good.

I havent come across any problems on my system, he needs to run a memcheck, i installed it in linux, but it should boot natively.

if it was the power supply, when the game crashed he would notice a large fluctuation as the power supply tried to cope with the demands the system placed on it.

on hte power supply..there would not be large fluctuations if he is borderline..which htis what it sounds like it is..providing it's a power issue. I bet it's the fact he is running xp-64.

i have been running xp64 for several months, if you dont know something for certain dont hit the bush, snakes might jump out and bite you...

Corpfox said:
I re-installed steam 3 times!
90% of running Counter-Strike: Source, beginning or mid-game, it crashes.
75% of running Starcraft, beginning or mid-game, gives out discoloration; rainbow colors.

With my old computer, it hasn't given me big issues above, except for low fps rates on all high graphical games, but the games are still runnable!

Only the games have been the problems lately. I do see slight power difference, but is a slight increase, a huge problem?

It rises and lowers 0.05, not much of a difference.

I think its the games that are the issues since most of my games may not be compatibility to my OS.

I got Starcraft and Steam installed; HL, HL2, CS & CS:S. Starcraft works, but sometimes gets out bad colors, but is still runnable. Steam works, most of the time, I do get occasional game crashes, but its my games, not the PC.

I also noticed I got everything updated for my OS, I even checked if all my parts are compatible with the OS, and it is, even my AGP Video Card and LCD monitor.

I also checked if enabling, Memory Hole made a difference, it doesn't. With 2,928 MB Ram or 4 gigs of Ram, I still get problems from games.

BTW, Hescominsoon, de_s2s is still the only map in CS:S that crashes my PC.

Last edited:
Only the games have been the problems lately. I do see slight power difference, but is a slight increase, a huge problem?

It rises and lowers 0.05, not much of a difference.

I think its the games that are the issues since most of my games may not be compatibility to my OS.

I got Starcraft and Steam installed; HL, HL2, CS & CS:S. Starcraft works, but sometimes gets out bad colors, but is still runnable. Steam works, most of the time, I do get occasional game crashes, but its my games, not the PC.

I also noticed I got everything updated for my OS, I even checked if all my parts are compatible with the OS, and it is, even my AGP Video Card and LCD monitor.

I also checked if enabling, Memory Hole made a difference, it doesn't. With 2,928 MB Ram or 4 gigs of Ram, I still get problems from games.

BTW, Hescominsoon, de_s2s is still the only map in CS:S that crashes my PC.

I would definately get memtest up and running,
Gentoo Live Cd
and enter in memtest86 when it boots.

this version will start right up, if any columns appear then you have a memory problem and will need to test each individual stick. if nothing is amiss for about 10-15 minutes you can safely say it is a power or vid problem.

usually random crashes and graphical errors are caused by not enough power. but because you had a issue with css randomly crashing (css is very sensitive to bad memory o0o).

I would enable speedfans logging and purposely play on that map. I would log all thermal and the specific positive voltages, when it crashes you will see what the fluctuation was like. if just before the crash a large drop in the postive voltages was recorded then the video card isnt getting enough juice.

I may of gotten something better, maybe I'm wrong.

I got a program called, FreeRAM XP Pro, it shows I'm using 85% Ram free (3529 MB). And since, memtest, etc, I can't extract ISO files, I just got WinZip, I don't know if it will help.

I loaded de_s2s from CS:S again, it crashed again, I checked my SpeedFan on any voltage problems, NOTHING.

I apologize, the map does work, but even I can't take it, look how far my opponents are! It took the bots all of their bullets to try to kill each other, even for me too, from that range! :eek:

On the first screenshot, see that greenish train, if you look to the left, you will see a cave or tunnel, thats where the T spawn is! :eek:

It would make sense why I'm not using a total of 4 Gigs, maybe having my ram full cause the problems, so if they were toned down or balanced, everything would work out.

So, actually, everything looks fine, I just need to tone down some stuff that may be overclocking my motherboard.

Last edited:
I'm running xp 64 with no problems at all, now the vista beta I have issues with, but no xp 64

I just need to tone down some stuff that may be overclocking my motherboard.

unless you purposely went into the bios and switched some frequencies around then your not overclocking.

memtest will tell you if your system is having issues with the ram slots being full, which is why ive been trying to get you to run it...

boot of the cd and let it run for 10-20 minutes. if any errors appear then you will need to double check the memory settings in the bios. you may be having a latency issue with the large amount of memory you have, and may need to adjust accordingly

10 - 20 minutes! I've been doing it for 2 1/2 hours! :mad:

I tested 900 MB, it was on 213% and still running! :mad:

Tell me what is the right program or not, because no one has giving me a site that does, and still doing search of Memtest, there are too many links.

http://www.hcidesign.com/memtest/
http://www.download.com/Memtest86/3000-2086_4-10524192.html?tag=lst-0-1
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download350.html
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alegr/download/memtest.htm

Corp what version of windws were you running previously?

Windows XP Home Edition

The tech guy said I could not get 4 full gigs of ram with that OS since my motherboard would not detect them. He told me in order to get my motherboard to see I am using 4 gigs of ram, I would need a x64 OS. He even suggested me to wait till Vista came out, but I don't care about it, all I want is my PC to be able to use 4 gigs of ram!

Last edited:
Back