Is the Landmass all done now?

Captain_Tea

Life after Landmass?

So when is the Landmass officially done? When it is shut down is there anyone who would like to pitch in to get another ToJ clan server going? Killerpings game server isn't very expensive $23 per month for a 12 slot server and if you rent it for 3, 6, or 12 months there are discounts. http://www.killerpings.com/game_ut.shtml Let me know if you guys are interested and I can look into getting something set up and ToJ can can have a friendly place to frag again free from profanity and immaturity, where we can control what goes on. :cool: We can also have it so it is not set up tournament style and perhaps we can attract more people to the server to be a good infuence on. ┼ :D

Last edited:
So when is the Landmass officially done? When it is shut down is there anyone who would like to pitch in to get another ToJ clan server going? Killerpings game server isn't very expensive $23 per month for a 12 slot server and if you rent it for 3, 6, or 12 months there are discounts. http://www.killerpings.com/game_ut.shtml
This seems like a perfect time to chime in and remind everyone about Tribe of Judah's efforts to raise funds for a dedicated server. Click here for more information.

It would be awesome if we were able to raise the $2,000 we need for the server hardware and commitments for monthly donations totaling $50--then we could get a box powerful enough to run a UT3 server along with servers for other games.

It would be awesome if we were able to raise the $2,000 we need for the server hardware and commitments for monthly donations totaling $50--then we could get a box powerful enough to run a UT3 server along with servers for other games.

Looks like we are just over 1/2 way there :cool: . How long do you figure before we reach the goal? Will we be able to keep a ut2004 server on there too for a while after UT3 comes out for us financially challenged folks that can't afford a computer that will play UT3 just yet :D . I intend to start giving monthly once I get back to work full time and my trade picks up.

@Teabags...as far as I know, the Landmass is still running. I'm pinging 50ms to it right now. But Kraniac did say it would only be up for another month, so I'm assuming it'll be down soon.

I'd like to second Tek's plug for the fundraising. Having a dedicated box means we have more control over it, can choose mods to run, tweak things, etc. It also helps serve the Christian gaming community and the ToJ at large, since other chapters benefit from having the server as well.

While the UT chapter could pool resources and go get our own server, I'd prefer to channel funds to an official ToJ server rather than "going it alone". This helps foster community and fellowship beyond our own little unreal corner of the forum, and helps further ToJ's mission mandate to service the Christian gaming community and witness to the secular gaming community.

We still have a long way to go for the dedicated server, and UT3 is still a ways off. We'll see how things go for a while and re-evaluate the situation when UT3 comes out.

The Landmass will be back when UT3 releases, I promise. But in the meantime, I wholeheartedly second Shagz's recommendation of donating to the dedicated box. The Landmass was always intended to be a competitive "practice court" first and a hangout spot second. TOJ's purpose, to me anyway, is to provide an opportunity to hang out and play some video games with friendly people in a positive environment. A dedicated box not only gives us greater integration with the rest of TOJ as a whole, it allows us the ability to set up a server that is more geared toward the latter, "hang out and play" purpose, leaving the Landmass free to be a place for healthy competition and training.

I see it like this: the official TOJ server should be like playing ping-pong with your friends in the basement, and the Landmass should be going to a weekly meeting of your weekly table tennis club. When you play with your friends in the basement, you should be able to goof off, have fun, drink a soda, and go crazy. When you show up at the club meeting, you should be ready to follow the rules of the game exactly, play your hardest, share tips with others, and exude a focused, sportsmanlike attitude.

Different rules for different people.

When I first posted I didn't see the Landmass, but I see it now. I understand about getting our own server, it makes perfect sense. Pooling money to rent a server is just going to slow down our ultimate goal. I'm still a ToJ newbie and am not totally up to speed yet :eek: .

Looks like we are just over 1/2 way there :cool: . How long do you figure before we reach the goal?
It's hard to say. It's taken us a year and a half to raise $1,000--but, to be fair, that's $1,000 surplus. We've also managed to raise enough to keep a web site, domain name, and CS 1.6 server (though the CS 1.6 server more recently) online. Still, I'm hoping it doesn't take another year and a half to raise the second half.

Will we be able to keep a ut2004 server on there too for a while after UT3 comes out for us financially challenged folks that can't afford a computer that will play UT3 just yet :D
That's the plan. :) I'm right there with you--I won't be able to buy a new computer for quite some time and I'm not sure if my notebook (which was a gift from my parents, and is quite the powerful machine) will make UT3 fast and pretty.

I hope to be able to help out once our tax returns are in and I finish paying off my deliquent power bill. $300 a month for it to not be below freezing in my apartment seems a bit excessive for this tiny little place, but oh well. Here's hoping my brother ends up with another new computer this year so he can further donate to my "give your brother your 'junk' pc" fund

Back