Is SEGA COMING BACK? Who knows.........

I think Nintendo and Microsoft already have the "console manufacturers that make solid hardware but hamper their progress by amazingly daft business decisions" role covered in the next-gen console wars. I guess Sony should be included in that party because of the Vita.

My guess is it's new arcade hardware or middleware, possibly related to mobile games.

But I sincerely doubt they're getting ready to jump back in to console design and manufacturing. Don't get me wrong; I <3 the Dreamcast, but Sega's about as dense as they come in regards to business decisions (which is a real shame, because the DC hardware was most excellent and far ahead of its time).

But I sincerely doubt they're getting ready to jump back in to console design and manufacturing. Don't get me wrong; I <3 the Dreamcast, but Sega's about as dense as they come in regards to business decisions (which is a real shame, because the DC hardware was most excellent and far ahead of its time).
Wouldn't their bad business decisions actually be an argument for them rejoining the console hardware market? >.>

If I were to hazard a guess, it'd be the same-ish as yours: Arcade hardware that integrates into an easily developed mobile suite.

Carry your customized VF character and battle record wherever you go to show off on your phone and load instantly whenever you're at the arcade cabinet.

Sega was always a few years ahead of the competition. The Saturn was out before the 64 and the Playstation, the Dreamcast ahead of the Gamecube (which was a colossal mistake by the way), the Xbox, and the Playstation 2. Sadly, I think having better tech out faster killed them.

I have a soft spot for Sega. :p

[video=youtube;0y6hIABR-nU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y6hIABR-nU[/video]

Teehee!

Last edited:
Sega was always a few years ahead of the competition. The Saturn was out before the 64 and the Playstation, the Dreamcast ahead of the Gamecube (which was a colossal mistake by the way), the Xbox, and the Playstation 2. Sadly, I think having better tech out faster killed them.
Sony's deceptive PlayStation 2 marketing and Nintendo's downright illegal business maneuvers in the 80s didn't help, either.

I have always loved SEGA. My favorite console is still the SEGA Genesis. :) I would be happy if they were joining the console market but I highly doubt it. I wouldn't mind seeing something from them though.

The new console model seems to be following more of a multimedia device model, which Sony and Microsoft both are able to support due to their massive company structures (Nintendo is the exception this time around since Nintendo has practically been relying on first party games for years now). I think Sega could really only afford to go the Nintendo route this time around and, frankly, the only reason Nintendo can do that is because they are Nintendo and people will buy whatever they produce. If anything, I think we would see Nintendo go the software-only route before Sega begins producing hardware again.

I saw somewhere that Sega was going to start producing laptops on a Japanese website. Cannot remember the link for the life of me, though.

You know that scene in the latest muppets movie where Fonzie is singing Rainbow Connection but with new lyrics that advertise the local hotel?

This scene?

Yeah, this news feels a lot like that.

Back