Is property tax unBiblical?

Snake_Six

I've been reading a book called "The institutes of Biblical law" by R. J. Rushdoony and I came across this passage:

"The Bible provides, as the foundation law of a godly social order, the law of the tithe. To understand the full implication of the tihte, it is important, it is important to know that Biblical law has no property tax; the right to tax real property is implicity denied to the state because state has no earth to tax. "The earth is the Lord's" (Ex. 9:29; Deut. 10:14; Ps. 24:1; 1 Cor. 10:26, ect.); therefore only God can tax the earth. For the state to claim the right to tax the earth is for the state to make itself the god and creator of the earth, whereas the state is insted God's ministry of justice (Rom. 13:1-8). For the state to enter into God's realm is to invite judgment.
The immunity of land from taxation by the state means liberty. A man then cannot be dispossed of his land; every man has a basic security is his property. As Rand pointed out,
It was impossible to disposess men of their inheritence under the
law of the Lord as no taxes were levied against land. Regardless of
a man's personal commitments he could not disinherit his family by
being disposessed of his land forever. [Howard B. Rand, Digest of
the Divine Law.
]
Because the land is not the property of the state, nor is the land a part of the state's jurisdiction, the state therefore has no claim under God to levy taxes against God's earth. Moreover, for the state to claim as much as God, i.e., a tenth of a man's income, is a sign of apostasy and tyranny, according to 1 Samuel 8:4-19. The modern state, of course, claims several tithes in taxes."

What do y'all think?

But what about Mark 12: 14-17?

14 They came to him and said, "Teacher, we know you are a man of integrity. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not? 15 Should we pay or shouldn't we?" But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. "Why are you trying to trap me?" he asked. "Bring me a denarius and let me look at it." 16 They brought the coin, and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?" "Caesar's," they replied. 17 Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.

It would seem that R. J. Rushdoony is going against what Jesus said... THough since I have not read the book, I do not know its full context.

Last edited:
Back