Is it wrong, or weird, to play the opposite gender?

JonZenor

For the first time I have created a female character in an MMO. Why? I don't know, I just wanted to. And now I'm taking a lot of flak from people, which doesn't bother me too much, but I just wanted to know, what is the general consensus on the issue?

Are we talking just playing or portraying yourself as a female? Portraying is wrong as you will end up with problems as people build relationships on what they thought was the truth only to be betrayed and violated when the truth comes out. Especially as a Christian one has to try to present oneself honestly as the unsaved are looking for any reason to reject you and thus Christianity, affirming their secular beliefs in the process. Just playing a female seems perfectly fine but the problem is even if you are just playing a female character some people will still assume you are one unless you put up a huge warning somehow. This is especially true if it is known you are a Christian which tends to make some think you would represent yourself truthfully at all times (a mmorpg is kinda a "roleplaying" game though people XD ). On the other hand some people don't view themselves as their character but the character as a "pet" disassociating themselves with it. So for one to assume your character is supposed to represent you in any fashion is somewhat biased.

As far as reasons for playing a female character there are some good ones. In lots of mmos the male characters are uglier or as a guy who wants to stare at another guy for hours. It's perfectly possible you simply find women prettier to look at than men with nothing lewd going on (though one should guard against lust even if she is polygons).

I myself for the first time considered playing a female character in FF as the Miqo'te race only has females, that and catgirls are more kawaii than cat guys :D ! Still I'd have much preferred to play a cat-guy and as there is no option I didn't try the game at all. If I had played a female character I'd have probably done so with a name like "Imma Dude" to prevent any confusion :p . Thing is I couldn't use "Gerbil" then (which I do in all my games so people will recognize me) and it still leaves itself open to people thinking you are a cross dressing pervert, also not good if you want to represent Christianity XD .

Though it would have been hilarious to find fishermen out in the field as a catgirl and run around them in circles typing "fish, fish, fish, MEOW :D !". So I guess the options for roleplaying comedy are what attract to me playing a catgirl :p .

I'd definitely pray about it, decide what your motivations are for playing one are and if the potential for social problems are worth the risk of playing one.

I'd personally have no problem playing with a Christian guy using a female character as long as he represented himself honestly to people, I just wouldn't stand too close <just kidding you on the last part ;) >.

Note there is another thread on the forums that asked why guys play a female character http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13605&highlight=female+character .

Last edited:
I would never play to deceive someone... that would really be weird.

Maybe I will remake a male, but I do not want to start over...

I would never play to deceive someone... that would really be weird.

Maybe I will remake a male, but I do not want to start over...

Up to you. I don't think it's that big of a deal, or necessarily sinnful (which depends entirely on your motivations), I was just outlining my thoughts on it . :) I personally play online games assuming all gamers are guys no matter what the character preventing any problems :p .

Do you get multiple characters in FF or are you limited to 1? You could always try a different race and come back to the cat-girl if you don't like it.

Last edited:
This is Final Fantasy... The guys kind of look like girls anyway, so what's the difference?

lol

/end poke at FF

Back in the days of EQ1 I played my first female toon. It was totally AWKWARD! I was hit on and flirted with nonstop. I played EQ1 in a house with a bunch of guys on a lan so I decided to play along. I could NOT believe how much stuff I got! I was literally hand fed tons and tons of gold and items by people who thought I was a female and flirting back with them. Of course I will probably lose eternal rewards for that but yeah....

After EQ1 I continued to play female toons not to deceive anymore but because I liked it. I fet that if I was going to stare at someone's butt for 1000+ hours it was better for it to be female not a male. I had to let my guilds know that I was male for a few years till it was more accepted.

Since then things have changed in MMOS. Now everyone assumes that 99%% of female toons are actually male unless somethig says otherwise.

When I got married I thought it was a little weird to play a female but I changed it around a bit. I started making the toon look just like my wife and gave her the same name. Then as we had kids, I would make toons named after my daughters. It was kinda nice and made me think of them alot more as I played.

Now a days I have played so many MMOs that I have standard set of names I fall back on. Ones for females and ones for males and I just go with whatever I feel at the time of creation.

Other then the early years, when I was being deceitful on purpose, I have never felt this was wrong (at least not any more then playing hours in a game is already) It is my conviction that playing a female toon is perfectly acceptable but that doesn't mean it is for you. You need to see how the Spirit leads in this as well. It seems that the Bible teaches that the Spirit is interested in every activity of your life even the mundane things and will grant wisdom if you ask of Him even in the area of MMO toons.

One last note, if you have not played Mass Effect as a female toon you are REALLY missing out. The female Shepard is one of the best female leads I have played in a game. The voice acting is very good and the role is strong and well done, more so if you go all renegade choices. It makes the whole game play differently and I enjoyed the female way more then the male as lead character.

Last edited:
The Mighty Gerbil said:
Do you get multiple characters in FF or are you limited to 1? You could always try a different race and come back to the cat-girl if you don't like it.

You have to pay per character. I'm going to keep her and just deactivate her I think. I tried making a male character but the server was locked again. :p

Joshinator said:
This is Final Fantasy... The guys kind of look like girls anyway, so what's the difference?

lol

/end poke at FF

Epic :D

I only have 2 more days to play FFXIV before school starts (going to school full time and working full time will not be fun) and I do not want to spend those 2 days starting over, again. :p

I might remake a male character later, when I have more time, but for now things are fine how they are. So get used to seeing Serenity Moonstalker around. :D

interesting topic -

Anyhow, For me being a girl, I noticed that when I played my brothers character that I was taken more seriously as a 'male' character. I got into the habit of leading groups with a male character because people would actually be more apt to follow the orders and get things done opposed to when I led on a female character and there was more playing around.

Just another interesting thought. :)

interesting topic -

Anyhow, For me being a girl, I noticed that when I played my brothers character that I was taken more seriously as a 'male' character. I got into the habit of leading groups with a male character because people would actually be more apt to follow the orders and get things done opposed to when I led on a female character and there was more playing around.

Just another interesting thought. :)

That is really interesting.

No, I do it all the time. And everyone knows I'm male. In the game I play (eve), 99.99% of female toons are male.

Back