Is Dungeons and Dragons

Just because people who commited suicide played D&D does not mean that was why they commited suicde. Besides, it's that person's choice. Even if D&D influenced it, it was still their choice.

Just like all other GAMES out there, it depends on how you look at it. If you treat it as realistic happenings, you're bound to get caught up and do stupid things.

If you keep it just that, a game, it will remain a game.

Vanaze

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Caleb @ Mar. 13 2004,8:26)]I hear that some people who played D&D commited
suicide. What are your thought's on D&D?
I hear that some people who have drank orange juice have committed suicide.

It's a game and as Vanaze says its just game, make what you will of it, people don't commit suicide b/c of D&D they do it for some other reason that doesn't make sense to me, D&D is just a common bond between them.

Was wondering could the same correlation be made from all the kids that commit suicide from the stress of high school?

Does it all not boil down to self control? Gal 5:22,23

Do you control the game, or does the game control you?

correlation without causation is unimportant and grossly misleading.

There's a 100% correlation betwen oxygen and death (i.e. everyone who breaths, dies). But there's a 0% causation.

So just because some people who do things, are doing other things, does not mean they're connected in any but a casual way.

I love to see Christians with brains. Thank you guys for being so rational.

By the way, sorry for my long absence, I had quite a fever =\

im glad ur back timmor i was wondering where the heck u had been. and on the D&D thing. i doubt D&D had anythign to do with anything. now say he commited suicide as a sacrifice described in the game, then he needed some major psycology help... no offense to any people who may have read this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (timor @ Mar. 16 2004,2:27)]I love to see Christians with brains. Thank you guys for being so rational.

By the way, sorry for my long absence, I had quite a fever =\
I try just for you Timor
biggrin.gif

Well, I for one am glad you're feeling better and are gracing us once again with fellowship

Ahh, sweetness Timor's back.

Yah. You take a rock in your hands, and twenty-five years later a bus runs you over.
The rock did it, of course.
The same thing with any game, especially D&D. I really hate those alarmist Christians who freak parents out that the game is the Gateway to Hellfire and Brimstone Forever and Ever Amen (my mom's been affected by those mothas so she freaks whenever I even mention D&D...hence I neglect to say Forgotten Realms is AD&D, whoopsie).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ultima Avatar @ Mar. 16 2004,7:43)]Yah. You take a rock in your hands, and twenty-five years later a bus runs you over.
The rock did it, of course.
That reminds me of an even better product....the tiger rock.

You see, this here rock *shows rock* keeps tigers away. Don't believe me? Well then show me a tiger! I don't see any tigers around here! Now buy the tiger rock!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (timor @ Mar. 17 2004,5:55)]That reminds me of an even better product....the tiger rock.

You see, this here rock *shows rock* keeps tigers away. Don't believe me? Well then show me a tiger! I don't see any tigers around here! Now buy the tiger rock!
lol thats from Simpsons good old simpsons
tounge.gif

on the D&D topic for some people yes it could have caused them to commit suicide but only because they were mentally troubled for 99.9999% of all gamers who are not (as) mentally troubled its just a game

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
on the D&D topic for some people yes it could have caused them to commit suicide but only because they were mentally troubled for 99.9999% of all gamers who are not (as) mentally troubled its just a game
Wow, that's a big percent. Can you show me where you got it? I'd like to see the website.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (timor @ Mar. 16 2004,2:27)]I love to see Christians with brains. Thank you guys for being so rational.
What do you mean by "rational," Timor? As opposed to "unrational?"

How are you using these words?

(this is not a joke)

Guys...to jump in here.....any game...even life itself...if you leave yourself open (spiritually that is) then you are faced with the possibility to be affected. "Lie down with dogs, stand up with fleas" .....

Yes, I know. There's a possibility to be affected. I have been, sorta. Three years ago I had to look away when Luke's hand was cut off in The Empire Strikes Back, but now I don't even blink when Aragorn stabs, cuts off the leg of, and decapitates Lurtz. So yeah, violent video games can make you used to killing and violence, which isn't a good thing.

Who's to say that the violent nature of our society isn't more to blame for your desensitisation?

And when it comes down to it, is the desensitisation to violence really the worst thing that's happened in our generation? Nowadays everybody believes that politicians lie, cheat and take bribes - to the point where we are no longer surprised when it is discovered that they do. Now voter turn outs have hit an all time low, because people don't believe that elections lead to true democracy and voter accountability!

That scares me far more!

Eon

What I say below is just my beliefs, and I'm not trying to influence yours.

I'm not sure, but I think D&D talks about magic; I stay away from stuff like that (Yu-Gi-Oh, D&D, etc.) since I consider magic to be evil. I'm not talking about pulling-a-rabbit-out-of-a-hat magic, I'm talking about witchcraft-type magic. I remember seeing in a little Beka Books Christian storybook years ago that magic is the work of Satan, if I remember correctly.

But it's up to you. If you want to play D&D, play it.

As for the guy committing suicide, he may have been so deep into the game that he though by killing himself he would become part of the game, or he may have done it for other reasons. Only God knows, and I hope the guy was right with Him.

-Yo†a

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Miscellaneous @ Mar. 24 2004,8:50)]
[b said:
What do you mean by "rational," Timor? As opposed to "unrational?"

How are you using these words?

(this is not a joke)
As opposed to "irrational."

I'm using them in the normal, unadulterated form of everyday English...

Back