iPhone 4 or gs3

legitnoob

So I got an upgrade on my phone coming next month and I'm just trying to get people's opinion on which phone I should get. There both the same price but I just feel like I'm stuck to apple bc I bought a bunch of songs on iTunes. Or is there any way I can transfer them to the gs3? Thanks

The GS3 kicks the crap out of the iP4, not turning this into a iOS versus Android debate, I am referring to simply the time of release. The GS3 is a newer phone, and still has a long life ahead of it, the iP4 could lose support any day now since it is a much older phone.

iTunes music don't have DRM so you can easily transfer that music to any device.

My personal preference in Android, but as I said before, I'd suggest the GS3 simply due to lifespan.

Having owned every iPhone version except the 3gs. I can solidly tell you buying an Android product is a good move.

Ok I go an iPhone 3G now since my Htc headphone jack pooped out on me and that's in exceptible for me bc I listen to music so much.

I use a service from Google called Google Music All Access. You pay $7.99 a month for unlimited music downloads.

I'm an Apple junkie of sorts and I love my 4s. Of course half the reason I went with iPhone is because I already have a ton of aps on my iPod and iPad.

Having owned every iPhone version except the 3gs. I can solidly tell you buying an Android product is a good move.

I think I find this funnier than it really is.

The Samsung is a better iPhone than the new iPhones are. Seriously.

Neither. :p

Wait until you're off contract, buy a Nexus 4, and get a SIM card from an AT&T MVNO (like AirVoice) or T-Mobile MVNO (like Straight Talk). There's no contract, little or no setup cost, and if the provider ticks you off, you can take your phone and walk.

Yes, there's the up front cost of the phone, but the Nexus 4 is (if memory serves) superior to the Galaxy S3 in terms of both hardware (fact) and software (opinion; I strongly prefer stock Android to Samsung's TouchWiz UI). Also keep in mind that the big 4 (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint) claim that they're selling you a "$600" phone (which is an artificially inflated MSRP) for $100 or less with a 2-year contract, but, believe me, you ARE paying for that phone through inflated monthly rates (rates, it bears mentioning, that DO NOT increase after your contract period is up).

I have a Galaxy Nexus with an AT&T SIM on Straight Talk (unfortunately, ST no longer offers AT&T SIM cards, but there are alternatives such as AirVoice if T-Mobile's network isn't competitive in your area) and I pay ~$49 a month for unlimited talk, text, and "web" (which effectively means if you're not silly about how much data you use, ST won't bother you).

Together, my wife and I pay less than $100 a month for our cell phone plans. The equivalent service would cost closer to $180 a month at Verizon (which, I'll admit, has a better network, but the difference is not worth anywhere near $80 a month).

TL;DR: Nexus device (currently the Nexus 4; the price point on the Galaxy S4 Google Edition is inane) + AT&T MVNO or T-Mobile MVNO SIM card = significantly cheaper than postpaid (contract) plans available through the big 4 cellular providers in the US.

Down with contracts! Up with consumer advocacy!

Last edited:
I do something similar to Tek. Both my mom and I use Family Mobile through Walmart (/groan).

Anyway. Family Mobile runs off of T-Mobile's network, so if you can land a cheap barely used T-Mobile device (e.g. Craigslist), you can get a SIM card from Family Mobile, use T-Mobile's network and get free unlimited everything for $40 per line per month.

Granted, T-Mobile's network isn't what I want it to be (it's fast when I have service...), but unlimited everything for $40 a month is a pretty good deal.

Down with contracts! Up with consumer advocacy!

Unfortunately this is entirely dependent on a few things...

First, T-Mobile, Sprint, Straight Talk, and just about every network other than AT&T or Verizon can't get a signal worth crap in the area I live. So really, if you want reliable service, you only have 2 options.

Second, I use maybe 50 minutes of talk, and maybe 500 messages a month, however, my data is off the charts, and those non-contract services love to limit your speeds what not if you rape their "unlimited" data.

Not trying to attack anything here, just mentioning the issues with non-contract services.

A little bit of a dig, but I'd suggest GS3 simply because it won't mysteriously start running super slow the moment the next shiny version comes out.

A little bit of a dig, but I'd suggest GS3 simply because it won't mysteriously start running super slow the moment the next shiny version comes out.
I don't think that trend is specific to Apple. Samsung wants to move as many Galaxy S4s as possible, after all. :)

Thanks guys for ur opinions, I was already leaning to the GS3. But Tek I'm gonna keep my plan, those no contract plans have crappy service hear where I live. My plan is also only 65 a month so it wouldn't be that big of a diff in comparison! Plus since I've had this plan for 4 years I grandfathered into unlimited Internet since I got that plan before they done away with it! If verison had better service here I would probably go with them, but AT&T has the best reception here! But there customer service is kinda garbage, they tried to trick my mom out of her unlimited plan the other day, so I've been considering changing providers if I could find a provider that didn't suck

Thanks guys for ur opinions, I was already leaning to the GS3. But Tek I'm gonna keep my plan, those no contract plans have crappy service hear where I live. My plan is also only 65 a month so it wouldn't be that big of a diff in comparison! Plus since I've had this plan for 4 years I grandfathered into unlimited Internet since I got that plan before they done away with it! If verison had better service here I would probably go with them, but AT&T has the best reception here! But there customer service is kinda garbage, they tried to trick my mom out of her unlimited plan the other day, so I've been considering changing providers if I could find a provider that didn't suck
It might be worth checking into AirVoice Wireless as I've read they have excellent customer service (an exceedingly rare compliment for MVNO service providers) and they use AT&T towers.

I bought an AirVoice SIM card off eBay for $0.99 shipped and had intended to activate service with them using an iPhone 3GS I'd received as a very generous gift from a CGA community member, but ended up receiving a different phone (also a very generous gift, this time from a different CGA community member) and going with Page Plus on Verizon (in part because one of the places where I work has a Verizon repeater and no other service gets reception).

Whatever you decide, I think you'll be pleased with an Android-based OS on your phone. :)

EDIT: Just noticed AirVoice has a plan for $55 a month that offers 1GB of data and a plan for $40 a month that includes 500MB. If you're a heavy data user, then sticking with your current plan at $65 for unlimited data probably would be a better deal. I know that I don't use much data at all, but every user is different.

Site note: I'm opposed to bandwidth caps on principle (unfortunately, Sprint service in my area is TERRIBLE), but I'm MORE passionately opposed to contracts, so I deal with Straight Talk's "soft caps" to save ~$75 a month on my and my wife's plans.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Tek but I'm gonna have to stick with my contract! My Internet package is up to 5gb b4 they slow it down and I've hit it a few times! So one gig wouldn't work!

Back