Interwebz Calamity at the Tree house!

How should I get to the interwebz?

• Hack my neighbors wireless.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Connect through my cell data card.

Votes: 5 23.8%

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Move my family down to the church for 3 weeks. T1's ftw...

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Alhana Option: Dial up baby!

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Camm Option: Go back to my Amish roots and read a book!

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

treebranch

I'm 16,500 feet from the CO, which means I'm not even supposed to be able to get DSL. I found a small DSL company that said they would serve me, but there were no guarantees. So right now I get like 800k to 1 megabit down.

Last week a guy from AT&T came buy and said they were running fiber in our area, so Uverse is now available! I signed up for an 18x1.5 megabit line! But when the installers called back they said that because I currently have DSL, I would have to cancel my service, wait 7-10 days for the line to clear, then I could place my order, and it would take another 7-10 days for them to get Uverse up and running. So I'd be without internet access for 2-3 weeks!!!

What should I do???!!!

I'm 16,500 feet from the CO, which means I'm not even supposed to be able to get DSL. I found a small DSL company that said they would serve me, but there were no guarantees. So right now I get like 800k to 1 megabit down.

Last week a guy from AT&T came buy and said they were running fiber in our area, so Uverse is now available! I signed up for an 18x1.5 megabit line! But when the installers called back they said that because I currently have DSL, I would have to cancel my service, wait 7-10 days for the line to clear, then I could place my order, and it would take another 7-10 days for them to get Uverse up and running. So I'd be without internet access for 2-3 weeks!!!

What should I do???!!!

Do what you usually do..... Play at the church you Noob... :D

During the transtion period, buy a wireless data card/USB dongle. Latency isn't fantastic (low hundreds) but it's workable, I've found (with Verizon, at least). Do your AH scans at "work" and then just play on the card. You can get the wireless thingee today and play tonight, insta-setup.

To not get roped into a long-term thing, I think you can buy the dongle for <$100 and then pay $60 or something for a month of the data access.

I am jealous that you will have U-verse, though! No FiOS, no U-Verse, no nothing at my house, blech, I'm stick with Cox Cable as my only option.

Doh! Poll wasn't up yet. You already have a data card? You should be ok then! Just don't do AH scans...

Oh, and I'm guessing vent would be a problem. For that, have Wall come over and type everything you say into /chat, like a court reporter.

AT&T U-Verse just got setup this afternoon at my house. I have the same number of channels, receivers and internet speed for $30 less a month then I was paying with my old SBC phone, internet and Directv satellite.

I tried to convince the wife I needed the 18 down plan but saving the money seems more prudent in this economy right now.

The broadband report forums (used to be dslreports) for u-verse have a lot of AT&T techs lurking on them that can help with issues. Might hop in there and see if you can work with one to move up your time.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/uverse

Ditto on what Sandric said ... I've gotten those guys to bump up the speed on my DSL twice, amazing that completely unofficial tech support is the best tech support evah.

Since I posted this poll I found out Comcast has a 50x10 megabit residential connection available at my house... Hmmm And in two years they're going to bump that up to 150 megabits... I have some thinking to do...

hehe, I agree with Avesther, love that Camm option. Good books, coffee with a family interfering while you read... the best

but 50mb internet would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

holy cow!!!!
sept for the comcast part it be like "lag? HA i'm downloading the interwebz while i'm gaming!!"

/drool

Since I posted this poll I found out Comcast has a 50x10 megabit residential connection available at my house... Hmmm And in two years they're going to bump that up to 150 megabits... I have some thinking to do...
<Imagines tree not playing WoW for 2 years>

just think of the 50mb down..

its worth it tree!
plus once you get 50mb interwebz i'll be at your house ALL the time on my computer.. soo yeah get a couch err a spare room ready err something..

o_O

i am entirely surprised at the suggestion of soooo many of my guildies tocommit a criminal offence.... well...maybe not... OK - not surprised at all! lol! The options are good! me - I would weigh them out price vs service option. Go for value, but be price conscious...

I am jealous about you getting u-verse or dsl before me, so please tell att to get off of thier butts and start getting thier dsl or u-verse set up here in arkansas, and trust me i will be giving them another piece of my mind and asking them once again why are they so slow here in arkansas, it is very frustrating but now i see you getting it that i will be finally able to get either dsl or u-verse sometime here in the near future and get back to playing wow.

Okay as the official keeper of the Camm options this cam option fails on two fronts being they are both totally impossible.

Everyone knows two things about Tree-

1. His roots are Quaker not Amish

2. He does not read books

Haha! My family was actually Mennonite way back in the day. My great grandpa left the farm, got his PhD, and was a big wig on Wall Street. I always think it would be funny if I could invite my great-great granparents over to our house... They'd freak out!

Most Mennonite I know use technology, why would they freak out? All the wretchedness that happens in the Yoder house?

Back