Internet and Parents

(I start too many threads, don't I? :p)
I use the internet for Guild Wars, Christian sites, and Star Wars Battlefront II.
My mom worries about my social skills and my health... Even though I consider this social and I actually have friends that I verbally speak to often... And I do too many chores for my dad and stepdad to stay on the computer every second of the day.
My dad thinks I have no life and I'm doing bad things on the internet. He thinks because of computers my functionality in life and usefullness to society is null...

I want to pursue a career in computers...

My dad claims to hate most electronics that I use but he in fact uses the same electronics (mostly the same brand and model but on video game consoles I used to have he used the same exact object) and he thinks such a career is a waste and that my life is not going as he wants it (however why should my life be his way?)... I'd love to go off on how many conflicts I have with him but it would be an overwhelming amount to type in the little time I feel like spending talking about them, since it makes my unhappy bringing up those topics...

Any guidance? Any suggestions? Anything at all?! o.0

Have you ever talked with them 1 on 1 about how you feel? And I don't mean just mentioning it out of the blue. I mean like setting up a certain time and spending time with them and really letting them know hwo you feel.

Kid4Christ is right, sit down and talk with them. And remember to respect their opinions and wishes. We are called to honor our father and mother. What you choose to pursue as a career however is up to you in the end. And if Computers make you happy and glorify God than I say go for it. It is a broad field which i myself am also pursuing. Computer guys/gals do well for themselves in life. But above all else make sure you keep the lines of contact open on this subject with your parents if you're really serious about it. In the end what you do is your choice, no one should stand in the way, but don't forget to honor your parents as well as the almighty along the way.

Sounds similar to my parents... really similar.

I just have to follow my parents' rules, as long as I'm under their roof.

(Of course, if I wanted to get kicked out of the house I'd be playing Guild Wars all the time)

no intention to sound like a broken recrod, but pray about how to bring it up with your dad..i'll be prayin' for ya

I'd rather talk about it to my mom because she's the understanding type and my dad seems to think that he can live a better life through me (his wasn't that great, he thinks) and he doesn't listen to me... He doesn't even let me talk most of the time. My mom, on the other hand, at least cares about my opinion and thinks that occassionally I know what I'm talking about...

pray. I have the same problem with parents and the internet, thinking it's hindering my life....(and of course i was in a bit of denial, i knew the truth but i was right when i brought it upon my parents). Talk, sit down, talk, listen negotiat. You may think your losing ground, but if your parents don't listen, you probaly lose more ground (and the chances are you probaly will). Don't think of what will happen when you sit down and talk, just do it, don't pre-pair what to say, just do it. Sometimes if you plan by saying what you want, and you don't get your que you miss your point.
Sit down and talk, and dont get angry if you think your losing ground. Toss pride away and if your parents still refuse to agree--worry about that when it happens. 1 step at a time

And no you don't start to many forums :D:D:D:D:D:

If your mom is more open, then talk to her. Then she can help you talk to your dad or stepdad.

This might help for prep work:

Make a list of all the claims your parents make about your use of technology. Analyze the list. Do they have any valid points? Are some of them just because they don't understand the technology? Think about it, and be ready to discuss it with them. And I do mean discuss, not just tell them they are wrong.

And do NOT present the list to your parents. That's just for your use. Be respectful, be open, and look for ways to make everyone happy. You'll probably need to compromise if you want a smoother relationship. And if they place limits on your use of technology, abide by them, and do it with grace.

my mom doesn't want in the middle of this but i think my dad is secretly supportive because he talked to a computer science teacher today and although i was typing something up for him, i heard something about universities with good programming courses and various good fields of programming for me...

as for my stepdad he doesn't care about anything i do as long as i do what he says and do what mom says... he doesn't complain about the computer unless i'm using it instead of doing what he wants me to do, which is not often.

Back