Intel vs AMD

Skibabinz

I need to hear arguments for both sides. Make it happen, go go go go.

edit: this is for a gaming rig btw.

Hescominsoon rants that Intel is better.

Using i7 920 since 2009.

Though, I'm thinking of getting a Intel Core i7 3930K 6 Core 12MB 3.2GHZ.

Last edited:
I was AMD for a long time, then when the i7 came out I just couldn't justify buying a comp for the long run based on feelings alone. I think my i7 will plain have more staying power for gaming in the long haul. Now my better halfs comp I bought at the same time has an AMD, it's uses and purpose will be different from mine, and I agree that for her's an AMD price/purpose made sense(she eventually wants to get Photoshop). Reviewing the evidence in retrospect for what will be the third time since I started weighing the choices originally it still was a good choice for both.

The general rule is that AMD's have better performance vs price ratio, although its gotten much closer in recent years, but the high end Intel's greatly out perform the AMD's. If you want the absolute best performance, go Intel, if you are trying to build a budget rig, even for gaming, AMD will cost you less.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-fx-6100-overclock-benchmark said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-fx-6100-overclock-benchmark,3099-5.html"]
Still, it’s fun to watch the $600 build annihilate the $1200 PC at our three lower resolutions in Crysis. Not so fun is seeing the overclocked $600 machine almost catch the $2400 build at our lowest resolution, where similar CPU and DRAM performance matter most.

Hrmm....What CPU does the $600 build have versus the CPU in the $1200 build? Click here to find out!
(Scroll to bottom of article or just read the whole thing! :p) EDIT: Note that the $1200 build is running two superior video cards in crossfire compared to an inferior video card in the $600 build.

EDIT: And, you might want to read this...http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100_6.html#sect0

These articles are from December of last year, though.

Last edited:
Okay I must know how you did that.

lmgtfy.com

Historically, AMD's cost savings were enough to justify forgoing an Intel product and pocketing the money/using it for something else. I'm not sure that's true right now.

I am using an AMD 4170 (@ the stock 4.2 ghz). It's pretty fast and does pretty well in games, especially considering it's low price.

Additionally, most of the time the top-of-the-line AMD motherboards cost less than their Intel equivalents. This was true in July when I updated my computer (I use a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3).

I sincerely doubt I'd notice any performance difference if I were to swap out my AMD parts for equivalent Intel parts. Besides, if this computer is going to be a gaming computer, then it'd all going to depend on the video card you use.

Last edited:
lmgtfy.com

Historically, AMD's cost savings were enough to justify forgoing an Intel product and pocketing the money/using it for something else. I'm not sure that's true right now.

I am using an AMD 4170 (@ the stock 4.2 ghz). It's pretty fast and does pretty well in games, especially considering it's low price.

Additionally, most of the time the top-of-the-line AMD motherboards cost less than their Intel equivalents. This was true in July when I updated my computer (I use a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3).

I sincerely doubt I'd notice any performance difference if I were to swap out my AMD parts for equivalent Intel parts. Besides, if this computer is going to be a gaming computer, then it'd all going to depend on the video card you use.

I'm not knocking AMD as a brand, but, they seem to be shifting philosophy to a more casual non-enthusiast audience. For example, they are integrating GPU and CPU which is great for a non-gamer and just a casual computer user. The AMD chips are certainly fast, but, you can't just look at GHz. It's all about architecture and Intel is certainly winning that race. If you want to build a gaming computer, Intel chip is the way to go IMO and worth the extra bucks. Plus, older Intel chips outperform newer AMD chips. So, that in itself closes the price gap.

I am not 100% caught up with the current and future designs so I do recommend anyone considering the AMD vs Intel do plenty of research, especially if its for gaming. Tomshardware and Anandtech + others have great benchmarks to look at and help with a decision.

At the time I was on a budget and could really only look at AMD. To get the comparable Intel chip and motherboard I would have had to spend more money that I had available.

I never said AMD is currently superior to Intel; but instead I stated for what I purchased the performance is by no means bad.

If I did have the money I believe I would have looked into purchasing a beefy i5 chip.

Someone is hijacking a thread.

Thread summary: Intel= Cadillac AMD=Chevy

Both will get you there, but one is much nicer and one is cheaper

AMD hands down. I can build a decent AMD system for the price of the CPU/Mobo of an intel... what does that say? If you've got a budget (which I assume you do) Get the best AMD and spend the extra money on a video card, which is what you're going to care more about gaming anyways.

I'm not knocking AMD as a brand, but, they seem to be shifting philosophy to a more casual non-enthusiast audience. For example, they are integrating GPU and CPU which is great for a non-gamer and just a casual computer user...

I read somewhere that there's great potential for AMD's APUs in regard to being paired with a performance video card and serving a gamer. I wish I could find it, though.

Plus, older Intel chips outperform newer AMD chips. So, that in itself closes the price gap.

Not really.

Using CowRocket's link we can compare my old gaming computer's processor (a Core2 Duo E8600) with my new one (AMD FX4170). My new AMD is two brackets above the old Intel (considering there's 12 brackets - it's rather close between the two chips), but the empirical difference in performance is mind-boggling. I used to have to reset the computer once every few hours while playing SW:TOR because the computer would get so bogged down over time. With the new computer, that was not so. It's important to note that the only differences between my old computer and the new one are processor, motherboard, ram, and power supply.

Granted, the AMD machine was purpose built to be a gaming PC, and the computer the E8600 was in was a Dell Optiplex 360... I understand how you would want to throw these differences back into my face, but hang on. When I bought the new AMD chip, I also bought new technology, which in turn helps performance. So, even though my old processor was down only two brackets from my new AMD processor, the new tech that comes with it (the AMD utilizes four new technologies that the Intel did not have; motherboard improvements help too) helps make the difference crystal clear.

The bottom line is that I would never, ever buy an old processor that could equal a current chip, for the current ship's price at the sacrifice of newer technology.

Not to mention repairing parts for old systems can be a complete chore; just ask Tek.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that I would never, ever buy an old processor that could equal a current chip, for the current ship's price at the sacrifice of newer technology.

Not to mention repairing parts for old systems can be a complete chore; just ask Tek.

Yea, I can see your point here. I have no qualms with AMD for a budget gaming PC but I also have no issues with a cheap i5-2500k which obliterates AMD chips in gaming from the benchmarks I have seen. Perhaps there is a newer AMD chip out that can match it and I'm wrong, but, I have yet to see it. Anyway, to trade links, perhaps you have seen this? Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: July 2012

No matter what you decide, if you build it (or not) and love your system, that is what counts. I'm using an i7-2700k and I probably could have saved money by getting the i5-2500k. I used to be an "AMD fanboy" so to speak, but it seems they are dropping out of the race for gaming enthusiasts. Maybe they will mount a comeback? :)

Back