Intel quad core

Im interested in what amd will bring to the feild, they are incorperating a ton of stuff from their recent purchase of rambus.

I think we will se a hugh architecture change from amd in the near future. I know for certain they are going to add in a l3 to the amd64s (to reduce issues with higher latency ddr2), they liscensed a patent that takes advantage of SOI (a insulation technique used in current amd but not intel) to allow for one transister per bit of memory storage (instead of the normal 2-3, transistor, capacitor, etc), this is too slow for l1 or l2 but is perfect for a buffer to keep from having to access the sloow ddr2.

they are also incorperating features from the ps3 (which rambus holds alot of patents for) into their next gen.

Add in the fact that ATI was recently purchased to give amd a solid chipset platform.

If they were to incorperate zram from rambus into a product launch they could be using ram that ran 1:1 with the cpu.

look at the hypertransport 3 and compare it to the same bus on the ps3. amd uses alot of the stuff from it.

oh and it is xdr, I always get zs and xs confused

HT is actually an AMD tech. If the ps3 is using it they got it from AMD not the other way around. HT is something AMD came out with in the ps2 era. HT is actually an evolution of hte evx bus that was used int he opteron first gen and athlon xp. Digital was the evx(aka ev3-x) inventor.

people never read my posts, is it seriously that hard. I said amd uses tech from the PS3 architecture which is mostly liscensed from rambus, which they own.

how did this thread get talking about amd and rambus....

rambus memory is not used or produced new for several years. Rambus and SD ram where combined to create DDR.

anyway, the quad core called "core duo 2 quatro" is pretty much 2 core duo chips put in 1 pin package. Even the cheapest level of the cpu will have 8megs of active L2 cache. And either a 1066mhz bus or 1333 bus.

Pretty much the same power of the xeon 5000 series but double the cores and L2 cache. Imagine taking a dual xeon 5000 system and putting it into 1 package and calling it a single desktop CPU o_O

I work with a dual xeon 5000 series server everyday (with 4megs of cache each) and that thing will crunch numbers faster than i've ever seen. Let alone the core duo 2 are even faster. I'm interested in seeing the benchmarks.

how did this thread get talking about amd and rambus....

rambus memory is not used or produced new for several years. Rambus and SD ram where combined to create DDR.

anyway, the quad core called "core duo 2 quatro" is pretty much 2 core duo chips put in 1 pin package. Even the cheapest level of the cpu will have 8megs of active L2 cache. And either a 1066mhz bus or 1333 bus.

Pretty much the same power of the xeon 5000 series but double the cores and L2 cache. Imagine taking a dual xeon 5000 system and putting it into 1 package and calling it a single desktop CPU o_O

I work with a dual xeon 5000 series server everyday (with 4megs of cache each) and that thing will crunch numbers faster than i've ever seen. Let alone the core duo 2 are even faster. I'm interested in seeing the benchmarks.

#1 rdram and sdram were NOT combined to create ddr, ddr is meerly an improvement to sdram that allows operations on both peaks of the clock, vs only 1 per cycle.

#2 if you knew anything about the core2s you would know that the outermost cache is shared between the cores, an as such intel can and will release smaller cached cpus on the lower end. Already you see the lower end core 2s with 2mb and the higher with 4mb.

Also as should be pointed out cache means absolutely nothing unless the cpu is able to use it effectively. Also the number of cores matters little unless one is multitasking or using programs that are written to use multiple threads(few apps for windows are).

Having a system with more then 2 cores will do little for the average consumer. For the most part I will run folding@home when playing games because I dont need that second core :p No drops in frames and I have enough ram.

#1 The buffering techonolgy of SD was combined with the fast response of RDRAM to create DDR.

#2 Thats why i said "active cache", allows it to be virtually split or combined for seperate cores.

wikipedia said:
Compared to other current standards, Rambus shows significantly increased latency, heat output, manufacturing complexity, and cost. PC-800 RDRAM operated with a latency of 45 ns, compared to only 7.5 ns for PC-133 SDRAM. RDRAM memory chips also put out significantly more heat than SDRAM chips, necessitating heatspreaders on all RIMM devices. RDRAM includes a memory controller on each memory chip, significantly increasing manufacturing complexity compared to SDRAM, which used a single memory controller located on the northbridge chipset.
there is no comparison between rdram and ddr. They involve completely different idealogies.

rdram is designed to provide a large amount of thouroughput on a narrow path.

the only thing that ddr barrowed was dual channel support.

Back