Insprirations from WoW: Why do we strive for righteousness?

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
Hi everyone, it is me again :)

Today I'd like to talk about something that's been on my mind. As you all probably know, I'm not really big on the whole "Judgementalism/Legalism Thing". I find that it alienates unbelievers and renders our attempts to reach people with the Message of Grace rather fruitless. I've begun searching for a paradigm shift, an alternative to the failing system that seems to plague modern evangelism.

I've become a proponent of living righteous lives that show off what "abundant life" should really be like, rather than judging others and pointing out where their lives don't measure up.

I've become a proponent of God giving us free grace and second, third, fourth, and googlplexth chances to try do what He asks us to do, rather than believing that God wants us to follow a set of rules.

And finally, I've become a proponent of God not caring so much where we sit on a scale of evil to perfect, but that God cares more about the overall direction that our lives are moving -- toward Him or towards ourselves.

But, this does present a problem. If, indeed, God doesn't care about how knowledgeable, near-perfect, or crowd-pleasing we are, nor does He expect anything from us except a desire to grow closer to Him, why should we bother to try to live righteous lives? Is there a reason, or are we simply clutching at straws?

Believe it or not, WoW can help us see the reasons why we strive for righteousness, whether the right reasons or the wrong reasons. And it can teach us, using the most unlikely element of the World of Warcraft: loot!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Inspirations from WoW #2: Why strive for righteousness?++++++++++++
----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the question I have to ask is, why do we try to pursue loot in WoW?

Well, it really depends on who you ask, but there are many reasons:

• Money: Some people pursue loot so that they can get better items to sell on the Auction House. They want to be able to rub a few gold between their fingers, and do so effectively. These players hunt down the most expensive recipes and BoEs so they can turn them into a lucretive cash prize.
  • Charisma: Some people pursue loot so they can look good. You know the type: Decked out in epic weapons and tier 2 set items, they stand on the pillars of the AH bridge waiting for people to inspect them. They hunt out new, hard-to-get gear so that people will be awed that they managed to achieve such a rare item.
  • Being the Best: Some people pursue loot so they can be better than, well, you. These people obsess with topping the damage charts and winning duels. Best-ing players are powerful gamers and spend a lot of time hunting down the best gear for their build so that they can pump out the DPS (or HPS) better than anyone else they know.

Now, let me stress the importance of this next sentence: In a game, like WoW, there is nothing wrong with this behavior. I'm not judging someone for farming items, collecting sets, or trying to be the best. It is a game. It's fun!

What isn't fun, however, is people who try to do the same thing with their Christian walk. The reasons outlined above are great when they are reasons for hunting down loots, but they honestly suck when they are reasons for righteous living. In fact, they tend to turn 'Righteous living" into "Unrighteous religiousity". Let me explain:

• Money: Some people pursue "righteousness" so that they can make money. Their motive for pious behavior is so that they can get you to donate money to their so-called causes. These people are rare, so don't think I'm bashing good charities. But they ARE out there, and this is a real reason for false piety.
  • Charisma: More common are the people who pursue "righteousness" so they can look good. You know the type: They don't do anything wrong, and they virtually ooze goodness out of themselves, vocally. They hunt out new, hard-to-find rules to live by so that people will be awed that they managed to achieve such a rare standard.
  • Being the Best: Some people pursue piety so they can be better than you, and especially better than those no-good sinners. These people obsess about being a pillar of the church (a particularly showy pillar) and putting down anyone who does anything wrong. These people spend as much time as possible trying to appear to be perfect and making sure no-one will ever confuse them with a sinner. In fact, they try to stay as far away from sinners as is possible.

Sounds pretty bad, eh?

So, if these are the reasons why people strive for righteousness, why should we even try to do good --- if, after all, it is simply self-serving?

Well, it is because there really is another reason to want to get loot, and, once again, a correlating reason to pursue righteousness. I call it "Getting the Job Done".

You see, each of us has a goal in mind for our WoW characters. Actually, we tend to have several. Mine might run like this:

->Kill Broodlord Lashlayer in BWL.
->Get the whole Genesis Set.
->Reach my server for Christ... or at least the SGA.
->Become the best Teddytank on the server.
->Get an epic mount.
->Show up for at least one guild ZG run. :P
->Get that awesome legendary staff.
->At least get attuned for Naxxramus.

Now, this list may be big, or small, depending on who is reading this, but you don't have to look hard to realize that a level 60 druid in Wildheart Gear does not even stand a chance at completing the goal of killing Broodlord Lashlayer, or getting the Genesis Set, or becoming the best Teddytank on the server. He just can't. Why not? Because he is not adequetly geared! So, in order to accomplish the goals I have set for myself, I need to get some better gear. In fact, often enough, in order to accomplish the goals that my friends have set along with me, whether it is a guild ZG run or an aSGA Blackwing Lair run, I'm going to need to get some better gear.

Sometimes, if 'getting the job done' means purchasing an epic mount, I've got to get some gold. Alternatively, if 'getting the job done' means beating Vaelstratz, I'm going to need to focus on topping the damage charts. I'm not collecting the gear, however, to make coin or stroke my ego or prove that I'm better than you -- instead, I'm collecting the gear because it is part of playing the game constructively. It's part of Getting the Job Done.

Similarly, this is the reason that we strive for righteousness. We have a goal -- to do what God has planned for us, and we have to get geared up -- most Christians call it 'becoming more Christlike', which is a good defintion for it, as long as you call a mage getting geared up 'becoming more Netherwindlike'. The fact is, in order to accomplish our God-given destinies, or in order to get our daily Christian life onto some sort of farm status, we are going to need to progress beyond the way of living that we had when we first got saved. For many, it is a gradual process, just like saving up DKP to get loots. But in the end, it allows us to do things for God that we would never have dreamed possible --- just like a guild who could not even get Lucifron to 35% health, who after a month of gearing themselves up walks home with Ragnaros dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So --- why DO we strive for righteousness? The answer is simple: So we can become more like Christ, and in doing so, can accomplish those things that God has created us to do.

As a side note, please notice that this is a striving for Christlikeness, not perfection. Christ was perfect, but that was because He was God. You are not, so don't even bother trying to be perfect. On the other hand, Jesus Christ was marked by a whole-hearted desire to follow God's plan for His life. This one you CAN do. That's what it means to be Christlike. And it is attainable. You just have to let Him lead and you follow.

God bless :)

Neirai the Forgiven

I can totally recognize some of those goals that can trap me at times - in life and in WoW. I know for a long time I didn't even realize that I was stuck in the "being the best" role not seeing the negative effect that it had on my life...Im still fighting my way out of it, and this perspective really shows me a specific direction to strive for. Now instead of working on NOT being a certain way, I can put a positive effort into a specific "getting the job done" approach to my life.
Thank you :)

It takes guts to admit that we are actually still humans, and screw up all the time -- even screw up our spiritual lives! You have my respect!

As for myself, I have to watch the "Charisma" angle. Am I living for God, or living for looking good? I find that whenever I slip into the "Charisma mode" I quickly find myself reaping the rewards of a double-minded view of Christianity: Paranoia that people may think I'm faking it (because I am), Resentment for people who 'look' better than me, and judgementalism on anyone who looks about the same or slightly worse than me.

When you play those games, you win those prizes :)

Instead I have to remember to live for God and not for my mirror. When I do THAT, the result is much more striking: Acceptance for people who are faking it --- because I've been there too and God still accepted me, respect for those who are doing better than I am at living some aspect of their faith --- because they can teach me how to do that too, and love and excitement for those who have just started following God.

When you play THOSE games, you win those prizes too. But they are better prizes :)

God bless :D

May I throw something out there?

I remember when I had no desire for righteousness, I was a professing Christian but inside in my heart I did not care that I struggled with so much sin. I would easily condemn someone else for their sin by the way.

Then after experiencing Christ and seeing with my own eyes that He could do such things for a sinner. Seeing the impossible become reality, watching my own heart which did not care before all of a sudden care. To care, ache and carry burdens for those who need Christ.

This change should not highlight me at all (as I did not do anything; it was not by my effort or self righteousness), it should highlight Christ and what He can do in the heart of a sinner. (Since He came to the sinner, and called him and showed much grace and mercy to him)

I think the Spirit of Truth changes our hearts and in this change our actions then change also... I do not admit to knowing everything, but I have witnessed this change of heart and the actions of a sinner to also start changing.

Anyhow great post Neirai.

*blink-blink* wow.

Shane, your openness and willingness to share your thoughts, and their depth, always touches me. You show the marks of one who does not mind voicing the shame of his own past for Christ's benefit. Praise God, He is truly awesome!

*holyhugs*

You have presented a paradox. Not that God is opposed to these (see Lion and Lamb, Beginning and End, First and Last, et. al.).

How can a Christian really succeed at striving to attain something that is impossible for him (enter generic/non-gender "him") to accomplish. If I am to have a righteousness that is not my own, then I do not have it and cannot acquire it of my own free will. The writer to the Hebrews said that when we get it right we will cease from our striving and enter His rest.

Christianity has been bound for centuries by thinking that God desires relationship based upon rules instead of God presenting rules based upon relationship. God did not give the 10 Commandments so that man might attain a relationship based upon the rules ("none is righteouse, no not one"). God was communicating to a nation indoctrinated with rules-based religion and in an attempt to communicate His character, personality and passion so that they might have close relationship, He expressed relationship in rules. Paul summed it up by expressing that the relationship God desires between Christ and the Church is a mystery expressed in the marriage relationship. I don't have a relationship with my wife based upon dos and don'ts. I have a relationship with my wife and there are things that I do and don't do in order to grow our relationship. I do not claim to have arrived when it comes to my relationship with my wife and even less so with my relationship with God but I must pursue it with everything I have knowing that He is pursuing relationship with me infinitely more so.

Back