Impressed with Palin.

so far I'm impressed. So impressed in fact that I almost wish she was running for President instead of McCain.

What I like most about Palin is that she is down to earth. I believe/hope that if she and McCain are elected that they are able to take a hard look at the difficult problems we face and solve them. Obama is obviously intelligent, as is McCain, but Obama sometimes seems to avoid certain issues, instead of tackling them like his opponents promise to do. Neither McCain nor Obama know much about the economy; Obama is likely to become more knowledgeable about it, while McCain must lend an ear to his advisers and act as he sees fit. The difference, I believe, is that McCain is decisive whereas Obama is not. Decisiveness is not always a good thing; however, indecisiveness never is.

Furthermore, McCain and Palin seem to take a tough stance on certain issues; Palin has said that she put the money of a monopolist oil company back into the hands of the citizens, and that the citizens should have influence over their own economy. And McCain has quipped about his stringent foreign policy in the Middle East and Asia, but what he actually does concerning these states time and chance will have to tell.

why aren't you voting? Vote for mickey mouse..but vote. If you don't vote our voice is not being used. This is your Constitutional right. Why would you not exercise it? The only vote thrown away is the vote not cast.

Haha, yeah, voting for Mickey Mouse isn't a waste, huh?

I may not stand in line 3 hours to vote for Mickey Mouse, but I'd probably use my Absentee Ballot for that.

But most likely, HCS was just using a hyperbole to make a point. :)

I may not stand in line 3 hours to vote for Mickey Mouse, but I'd probably use my Absentee Ballot for that.

But most likely, HCS was just using a hyperbole to make a point. :)

We can only hope.

Did anyone else catch the bit where Obama claims he has had more executive experience than Palin because he's been managing his campaign for 18 months? (further comment edited by me at the request of a moderator)

Last edited:
We can only hope.

Did anyone else catch the bit where Obama claims he has had more executive experience than Palin because he's been managing his campaign for 18 months? What a loser.

lol, me too. because i was the admin of a CSS server for a year.

The last time I checked, individual votes don't really matter since the United States employs an Electoral College.
But the states electoral college's vote for whichever candidate gets the majority of the popular vote in their states (some states split the electoral votes to further match the popular vote).

You're vote always counts.

since this thread has been completely derailed can we please close it?

Continuing on being off topic and votes not counting...did you know that Indiana has only like twice in history every went democrat in the election, and I doubt it will be anything but republican this year also... Even though I would only vote republican in this case my vote really doesn't count in a second way also... The electoral college was founded so that each state could add up their votes in a time where the technology we have now didn't exist, the electoral college makes no sense to still be doing this...with the technology we have now the electoral college should be disbanded if that is the current word to use, however, in our REPUBLIC, the government always has control, and they make sure of it, we have NEVER had control of the government in anyway, legally we could change our government but they constantly keep us busy with all kinds of things so that we do not actively question them or fight to change them... LEGALLY you state rep that votes for you in the electoral college can vote either way no matter what our votes counted to, they are under NO obligation to vote how we vote, now in most cases they do, but there are times they satisfy their own needs...

But the states electoral college's vote for whichever candidate gets the majority of the popular vote in their states (some states split the electoral votes to further match the popular vote).

You're vote always counts.

You may want to look into the term "faithless elector".

You may want to look into the term "faithless elector".

I did. Appears that it has happened but in few and, often times, accidental cases. To date, faithless electors have never changed the otherwise expected outcome of the election.

I would think, if they did, mutiny would follow

What happened in 2000 was an unfortunate side effect of not doing a direct popular election, but a system in which each state gets an proportional number of votes based on population.

for instance, if candidate1 gets 100% of the 50 million votes in StateA, that's 50 million popular votes and (for instance) 25 electoral college votes.

but, candidate2 gets 51% of the 100 million votes in StateB (which happens to be an "all or none" state), and therefore receives all 50 electoral college votes.

Candidate2 just won the election by a 2:1 margin in electoral college votes, while losing the popular election by a 2:1 margin.

It sucks, but that's how the system works. My example is way overexagerated and oversimplified, but that's the net effect.

Last edited:
Back