I'm pretty sure you didn't see this coming. Ever.

Elader Arkon

Helped Tek test a thing
What is this I don't even..

Magicka is getting an expansion and it is called... Magicka: Vietnam

WHAT?!

That. Is. BRILLIANT I SAY.

Speaking of magicka, I actually need to finish that game...

Last edited:
Watched the trailer. As Vietnam era veteran this makes me decidedly uncomfortable, for reasons I cannot clearly articulate.

/cringe

I think I understand the purpose behind the parody--perhaps an homage to classic games like Contra or Ikari Warriors?--but taking an actual war and treating it this way? Oof. It's entirely different from how a different genre of game (say, first-person shooter) is likely to treat the subject matter.

I don't think the creators meant for this to be in bad taste, but...yeeeh, I'd have to say this is in bad taste.

If they took "Vietnam" out of the title would you guys feel differently about this? Personally, it never even crossed my mind until you guys mentioned it. I stand more on the side of, "This is a clever idea".

If they spoofed the War in Iraq I'd feel a lot better about it... but this about a war that was so controversial and a war that forced unwilling civilians into fighting... I dunno...

I am a little sensitive on all things Vietnam because I spent 2 years helping bury those who came back in a box.

I see it more as an parody of other games (namely games like BFBC2:Vietnam), and the reason they chose Vietnam over say, the much overdone WWII, is due to the over-the-topness of a good chunk of somewhat related action movies and the general craziness of the idea.

To quote the official press release:
Have you ever wondered what it would have been like if wizards were allowed to roam the jungles of war-torn Vietnam, attempting to bring peace and stability to the region by casting spells on all opponents? Wait, you haven’t ever wondered that? Ever? Okay, so we’re probably the only ones who have but in our defense: here’s your chance to stop being so closed-minded. Magicka: Vietnam delivers over-the-top action as players take on the role of four meek and physically inept wizards as they try to do what so many 80’s action stars have done in the past: blow stuff up.

I don't think they're trying for controversial, and I haven't seen or heard much/any negative reactions on the web (though I haven't looked terribly hard) in regards to the setting.

Eh, at least it's not Majicka:Columbine. I know nothing about it other than the title and that the game is a spoof.

I don't necessarily see how it can be in bad taste... I would think more modern games where you see soldiers blown up would be bad taste. This is good, clean fun. This truly is an awesome idea.

Back