If "we" were to make an Indie game, what would it look like?

I'd love to see that document ;)

Especially if it contains solutions to things like AI.

After crunching all the requests I've seen so far I had this brainchild:

Adventure game? Multi-player? Christian? OT? And I know you like Mudkips:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In coordination with the Christian Gamers Alliance, לדעת games presents:
10 Days to Deluge: The story of Noah's Ark. Sort of.

We pretty much all agree that when God said to Noah "take two of each animal -- seven of each clean -- into the Ark" he did most of the work.

But let's say he didn't.

With 10 days left -- and rain starting already -- you must scour the Earth for rare animals and bring them back to the Ark.

-Tame animals -- all the animals -- in the ten days before a world-wide apocalypse!

-up to 8 players with 8 unique characters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

-Solve puzzles with the abilities of animals you've already tamed.

Any thoughts? we don't have to do this one.

Gotta catch 'em all!

It certainly sounds like it could be fun (though that my just be my unreasonable love of collecting virtual pets and puzzle games talking), though I'm concerned about the inevitable references to Super Noah's Ark and the mood whiplash of using a Bible story about both God's wrath against sin and His mercy to preserve a remnant with a cutesy puzzle game. (At least, I imagine it being cutesy. But again, past games are probably influencing my expectations.)

As for me? If the graphics were good and it was fun, I'd play it. Sounds like an excellent fit for portable devices.

I was figuring a more gritty world where amongst the obstacles involved are the violence and decadence around you.
But that could be a question. Cute vs. Gritty?

I don't know if a gritty setting really fits with a puzzle game setting, but, again, my previous experience is probably influencing my expectations.

It could work, though.

EDIT: Also, this article may be relevant to our interests.

Ohhh, puzzle game. Tetris-like only slightly different. Animals are entering the Ark (in random order) and you have to arrange them so they all fit. Or SimCity-like in that you have to keep them fed (and not eating each other), watered, clean, and happy.

Sorry, I'm probably not helping. . .at least I haven't mentioned my Frogger clone that stars a Frogodile and in addition to dodging cars you also eat pedestrians. . .

:D

I was looking through a set of tutorials for XNA and realized that the code setup is remarkably similar to the directX wrapper I used for my perpetually incomplete C++ game. I may attempt to port my game across to get a feel for it. Personally, I think C# is a bit nicer to program in.

What about a sims-type, or maybe even Civ-like with Adam and Eve/the early folks populating the world. Start on the map with Adam and Eve and wander till you find a home to settle, along the way children would spawn, you'd grow things, before long you're constructing a tower of Babel or half your settlements are washed away in a flood!

I see the potential for a puzzle game with the Ark, but I feel as though it could seem cheesy to some people.

What about a sims-type, or maybe even Civ-like with Adam and Eve/the early folks populating the world. Start on the map with Adam and Eve and wander till you find a home to settle, along the way children would spawn, you'd grow things, before long you're constructing a tower of Babel or half your settlements are washed away in a flood!

Civilizations - The Bible, I like that idea.

I ran through a tutorial on XNA. Making a scrolling space shooter of sorts. Rather well put together. I'm working on porting my game - so far just the scrolling star background transferred across.

Another thought, Neirai asked in the OP about making an Indie game. He didn't say a Christian indie game. I understand that we're all Christian and that's what makes this group unique, but almost every suggestion (mine included) has been Christian. Why can't we hypothetically make a non-Christian indie game? Naturally whatever game we make won't include graphic nudity or suggestive themes, but why can't we make a side-scrolling-space-asteroid-blasting-hyper-galaxy-save-the-princess game?

Just trying to broaden the scope for discussion/imagination :)

No reason at all. A clean game made by Christians probably has a broader appeal than a "Christian themed" or "Christian" game.

My suggestion had very little to do with anything beyond combining the things I'd seen so far in the thread.

Oh, and on the subject of whether Noah's Ark brings with it a lot of "is God bad" baggage -- I'd include that in the story of the game. Why can't Noah wrestle with the problem of human annihilation as he looks for zebras?

In the shape of a cow?
Like this? :p
CowRocketAvatarThird.gif

Back