I need some techie help please :)

Mimbari

So, I am currently looking for a new desktop computer. I have had mine for about 6 years and the hamsters that I use to power it are getting a little long in the tooth.

Anyway, it comes down to this - there are 2 computers I am looking at with the only difference being the processor and the memory.

1. Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E5300 [2.6GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB] with 4GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]

2. Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q8300 [2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB] with 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]

#2 is $100 more. I am not a techie person and most of this upgrade will be for playing WoW (granted, I do use the computer for more than games, but nothing that would require as much power as WoW does).

My questions are these:
1. Is #2 worth the extra $100?
2. Do I need the extra power?

Please take into consideration that I plan on this computer lasting me another 5-6 years, so I don't want to buy something and plan on buying another one in 2-3 years.

Thanks for the help and advice

Actually you answered the question for me. If you plan on using it for a very long time, that $100 will pay itself over a few times year 3, 4 and 5. Go for option 2. Might seem a bit much at the moment but you won't upgrade for 100 in 3 years from now.

Option 2 is looking better for the long haul but I am a little curious why it is only $100 more. Is option 2 using a built-in graphics processor as opposed to a separate dedicated card? You do not want to be using MB graphics and shared memory.

And, as has been noted, ensure you have a 64-bit version of Windows.

2. Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q8300 [2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB] with 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]

What others said. (with a good graphics card)

I just got one of these:
thm_Intel_286_IBM_PC_AT.jpg

It rocks. :p

I upgraded from this:
abacus.a.102622629.lg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all who posted here. The $100 difference is with the same graphics card in each of them (512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350).

How do I tell if I have a 64-bit version of Windows? Does Windows 7 qualify?

Thanks to all who posted here. The $100 difference is with the same graphics card in each of them (512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350).

How do I tell if I have a 64-bit version of Windows? Does Windows 7 qualify?
The retail Windows 7 upgrade comes in 64-bit and 32-bit flavors. Mine came with both DVDs in the box.

Back