I LOST EVERYTHING!

Corpfox

I was playing Starcraft, many hours ago and the PC totally crashed.

It crashed so bad, my Operating System was in-operable. :mad:

I don't understand how could that of happened!

So, I had to delete and re-install my Operating System all over again......... *cries*

Now, theres NOTHING!

IE is terriblely slow and YES, I spelled that wrong since it has NO SPELLCHECK!

Used Space: 3.20GB
Free Space: 298GB!

:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

If this happens again, I MUST GET A NEW PC! *speaking furiously*

Please tell me you practice regular backups?

Sorry to hear this...but the only words I can offer is: Back up all important files once a week...I could never say this enough...

I once had a PC crash and lost family pictures, music, and all that jazz, so now I backup to 2 large HDs once a month...at least...

I hope you lost nothing important, and remember, that no matter what computer you are using; whether it be PC, Mac, or Linux, none of these can save you from hardware issues...

Sorry to Hear that Corpfox, the Blue screen of Death has struck again, the last time that happened to me it was because of a Virus, but there are Multiple reasons and all result in a Fresh Install :(

How much space they offer...I backup close to 200GBs...

Most of the issue is the upstream connection from your house. For instance 512kbps upstream would take just under 38 days to upload 200GB. If your rate of change exceeds your bandwidth available then you might run into issues keeping an up to date snapshot.

Yeah...I have a 1.5mbps upload, but still that is around 12-13 days...and my external and internal backups work great...and it would not be the end of the world (but I would be incredibly upset) if I lost it all... 3 years ago it would be the end of the world...but since then I have changed a lot, and losing material things don't bother me near as much as it once did...

I myself use Acronis Trueimage Home 2009, its very good at backing up
the whole hard drive.

Also see if you can do a full diskscan for errors on the harddisk.

How much space they offer...I backup close to 200GBs...
Maybe back up only the most essential files?

I know my backups now likely take up more than a full DVD-R. I need to go back and merge all my backups to create a "master backup," make an extra copy of that backup, then destroy all my previous backup CDs/DVDs.

Oy, that sounds like a big project, which is probably why I keep procrastinating.

Yes Mozy's a bit more expensive than Carbonite, I just liked using it better, so that's what I decided to buy.

Also, Mozy's now owned by EMC, one of the world's largest SAN companies. They KNOW how to store data, so I'm not worried at all about what happens to it
after I upload it.

As for space, Mozy's paid service is unlimited storage. I've now backed up over 70G of stuff using a standard DSL line. It took a few weeks to get caught up, but now that I'm just backing up changes, it doesn't take very long at all. Just leave your machine up overnight running your backups and it'll be done after a few weeks. Not a good idea if you're on an ISP with bandwidth caps though.

Last edited:
Maybe back up only the most essential files?

I know my backups now likely take up more than a full DVD-R. I need to go back and merge all my backups to create a "master backup," make an extra copy of that backup, then destroy all my previous backup CDs/DVDs.

Oy, that sounds like a big project, which is probably why I keep procrastinating.

200GBs is my essential files...remember, I am a video editor...some of my important RAW video files are well over 10GBs...

Back