How To: Trading Post - Get Cheap Weapons, Crafting Materials, Dyes, and Minis

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
So, I've spent a lot of time on the trading post this past weekend. As in...more time trading than playing. I've learned a lot of things that I feel could be very helpful, so I thought I'd share.

TL;DR: It's very easy! Read the bold points below for your TL;DR.

Let me know if you have any tips to add that I hadn't found yet!

You can find crafted weapons/armor on the TP for VERY cheap, often far cheaper than the ingredients!
This may change at max crafting levels, but for example I bought any level 20 (masterwork) items that I couldn't craft...for about 49 copper. People craft items for the XP and sell for just above merch cost. My level 25 gear cost ~70c. No more running around in gear that's more than 5 levels behind for me!

The quickest way to find appropriate gear is to click search filters, put your level, and select what you want (weapon, armor, etc). Note that crafting recipes generally run every 5 levels, so if you're level 23 you'll probably want to look for level 20-24 items.

Making Offers is usually much cheaper and often just as fast for many items

For those who don't know, you can buy outright...or you can make a "custom offer" on an item. Buyers list items and wait for you to come buy them. Offers list offers on an item...and wait for a buyer. However, for high-volume items...there are so many people trading them that offering 1 copper over the next offer comes back instantly. Why pay 110s to get a stack of something that I can pay 80s for and still get instantly? This works best on high-volume items: crafting materials

You get charged when you offer, but there is no fee to do so. Also note that you can withdraw an offer by going to My Transactions -> Items I'm Buying -> Remove item. This will give you your money back. (thanks to whoever gave this tip in chat, forget who)

The same goes for selling - being the lowest seller on most anything will get you a near-instant sale for maximum dollar. In general, buy with offers; sell with listings.

You can search, buy, or sell items from anywhere, anytime
The only restriction is picking up the item or coin. For that, you have to go to a trading post and go to the Pick Up tab (or use a black lion agent item - 40 gems). Listing an item has a 5% charge, so be careful not to list too high. There is also a 10% charge on the sale, regardless of whether you list an item or take one of the listed offers. If confused and you just want to sell fast, sell for 1 copper below lowest seller or just match them to possibly avoid an undercut war.

If you are offering on something that doesn't sell quickly, like a rare mini or item, and want to stay top bid...you can check back from the field and make a higher offer if you get outbid. Bear in mind you need enough cash to cover both offers. IE: If I bid 50.0s on an item, and see someone bids 50.01, I can bid 50.02 and remove my 50.0 offer...but I can't pick up the 50.0 until I can do a Pick Up.

Buying refined crafting materials or insignias is generally cheaper than buying materials and refining them yourself
For example, armorsmith uses a lot of bronze ingots. They are made with two copper ore. However, copper ore goes for ~19-21c, whereas you can buy the ingots for ~29-32c. Cheaper to get ingots if you don't need the xp, which they usually stop giving soon anyway. Compare prices! Need a Mighty Jute Insignia but out of Weak Blood? No problem - you can get the insignia for less than the cost of 1 Jute, let alone the Weak Blood.

You can also score some ~free crafting experience buy buying ore (offer!), refining, and selling (wait for a buyer). The better price you get when selling instead of taking an offer makes up the difference and listing fee.

You can get merchant-only materials on the TP for much cheaper!
You can save a lot of money buying things like Tin and Jute Thread on the auction house. Tin runs 8c each at the merchant; I've gotten it for as little as 3c on offer on the auction house. And it was near-instant. I do not know why people are selling materials for less than the merchant price, but the only thing I can think of is they are moving to the next crafting discipline and dumping scraps. Benefit from their loss?

You can make good money on the market
I won't tell you my secrets, as that would make them worthless for all of us, but there is money to be made here if you are enterprising. Buy low (offer) sell high, find things to craft that have a margin, you name it.

Dyes are very cheap!!!
Many of the Fine dyes are listed anywhere from 40-100 copper, and you can often get them on offer for as little as 15c or below. Why are you walking around in ugly armor? For this reason, you may also consider selling any unid dyes you have. While you may get lucky and get a black or abyss dye, they are a gamble that is just not worth it mathematically. Unid dye currently sells for ~5s

Also note: you can Mystic Forge those Fine dyes to get other Fine or even Masterwork! I've been buying bucketloads of them and have lots of colors. Worst case you get one you already have and just re-forge it, so you only lost ~45c. Better case you get a newer, more expensive fine or masterwork dye. I've gotten a masterwork dye about once every 4 forges. You could even throw 4 greens in there for a chance at a yellow.

Mini Pets are cheap!
"Cheap" is a term relative to how much gold you currently have, how much you like minis, and the future. The cheapest minis go for as little as 2-5 silver, and it is my belief that they will get more expensive over time.

Also note: Same as with dyes, I will say you're definitely far better off buying minis from the TP than buying gems with gold (or money) and buying a mini pack. Buy mini packs only if you get excitement from the gamble. You can not get an Exotic from the mini packs, so you will not strike it rich. The most expensive Rare on the market right now is Eir, and she goes for about 1g. For comparison, it currently takes about 75s to buy enough gems to buy 1 mini pack. So even if you get very, very lucky, you will not come out much ahead. If you're looking to throw your wallet at some minis, consider buying gems -> convert gems to gold -> make offers on minis on TP. You'll get the most bang for your buck that way.

Last note on minis: you can forge 4 of the same rarity, like with dyes or weapons. You will likely get the same rarity, but could also get one level above. Final last note, I'm looking to buy exotic minis (or rare for forging to exotic) if you have them!

------------------------------------
Did I miss anything? Drop some knowledge!

Last edited:
Listing an item has a 5% charge

Did I miss anything? Drop some knowledge!

Almost right, theres a 5% charge when you list that is non-refundable, however, there is also an additional 10% charge on the final sale price when the item(s) sell for a total charge of 15% of the sale price

Almost right, theres a 5% charge when you list that is non-refundable, however, there is also an additional 10% charge on the final sale price when the item(s) sell for a total charge of 15% of the sale price

Thank you, fixed!

Do you know off-hand what the charge is when accepting an offer? I'd assume the listing fee is gone, but I'll check to see if the 10% is as well.

...and is there a receipt for tax purposes?

Thanks, Ryan. I am loving the Trading Post. It is so nice to have armor and weapons that 'fit' me - as in, match my level as I go.

yeah i didnt realize there was an additional 10% fee on the sale, wasnt until i realized i was losing money on some trades that should have been profitable that i knew something was off and had to check it out. So if youre planning to buy and re-sell on the TP, your sale price will need to be approx. 18% higher than the price you buy at in order to profit (obviously higher is better)
Do you know off-hand what the charge is when accepting an offer? I'd assume the listing fee is gone, but I'll check to see if the 10% is as well.

Is there a fee when buying as well? i didnt think there was

...and is there a receipt for tax purposes?

Thanks, Ryan. I am loving the Trading Post. It is so nice to have armor and weapons that 'fit' me - as in, match my level as I go.

Actually, you can check under My Transactions -> Items I've Bought to get receipts. I'm not claiming them on my taxes, though!

Is there a fee when buying as well? i didnt think there was

No fee for buying...was looking for what the fee was on taking an offer as opposed to listing. As far as I can tell, the 5% fee is for listing, and 10% fee is paid by the seller whether you list or accept an offer.

Kind of funny that the cheap crafting weapons I buy actually earn the seller LESS than they could merch for...and they have to wait for their money!

I went last evening and upgraded everything - armor and weapons - for a little over two silver. Makes a huge difference in-game.

yeah, it seems to me that if there's thousands of items at 1 or 2c above merch, I'm better off merching it after the listing fee and then the 10% at sale... But yeah, the TP is pretty awesome. I'm kinda feeling like all the work I was putting into crafting armor may have been kinda dumb when all those same items are going to be on TP for super cheap.

I wonder how long it will last.

At some point, won't the number of people crafting drop off if there isn't significant reward for doing so, which will balance prices back out as demand for mats and supply of finished goods decreases?

Enok Econ 101 is clear, Supply and Demand always drive the market, real or game. That is why the bottom dropped out of the majority of the market in GW for the last couple of months prior to the launch of GW2. The only items holding value, or some increases, were those needed for HoM. We can already see the trend in GW2 for certain materials to have greater value, some which will retain their value. Wait until the demand for mats from the higher areas. I sold several unided dyes for 10 s, and now the price is down to 5s. Supply and Demand.

One note on whether or not it's worth it to get your crafting up - to me, it's worth it simply because I have doing it. However, you will also make money end game. The auction house is flooded with items because people want the crafting xp. There really isn't another reason to craft an item that you aren't using. At 400, there is no crafting XP to be gotten...so the reason to put things out there is profit.

There is also a lot of time and work involved, which will equal profit. Time + exclusivity = profit. This doesn't just include the time it takes to hit 400; it also includes the time it takes to get rare mats. This is akin to making armbraces or obsidian armor in GW1. You can farm mats yourself, buy them and try to squeeze a profit, or some combination of both. Those who are most efficient will do well.

I didn't know lemons were that rare, guess I'll hold on to my two for now. See what I can cook from them.

I took the dive today and doubled the damage of all 4 of my weapons today for less than 50s. Seems my weapon levels have been lacking! Sadly though, I also had to shell out for the level 60 trait book so I'll do armor when I build up my finances again heh.

Back