How to live?

Ulagy

What does god say about how we should live?

Smoking? clothing, gaming, every choice we make, and every second of our lives.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind from the bible is that everything is good in moderation.

What does god say about how we should live?
Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4
The Bible is God's word so it could be seen as the guide on how to live. I know you know that. I am just saying that's kind of what the entire Bible does so I can't list all the issues in the whole Bible.

Smoking? clothing, gaming, every choice we make, and every second of our lives.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind from the bible is that everything is good in moderation.

Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial nor should you be enslaved by anything 1 Corinthians 6:12-20.

Of the given examples I can't think of a benefit of smoking. You could view it as a painkiller but if you need those you can get that without carcinogens. Also although anything can enslave you I'd think smoking would have higher addictive tendencies. Plus we are called to glorify God in both body and spirit so I don't think abusing your body's health is keeping it holy. Likewise if gaming or clothes become idols you should get rid of them (no I don't mean run around naked XD :p ). If your clothes portray or align with a loose and immoral lifestyle you should change them. Yes moderation is good for some things but it's a bit more complex. If something is causing you to fall away from God you might have to get rid of it entirely.

Also there is a time and place for everything under heaven Ecclesiastes 3:1 . Sin could be construed as a mistiming or misplacement. Simplified example, sex within marriage good, outside bad. It is not merely the activity in moderation but the circumstance in which it is done.

Last edited:
1st Corinthians 10:31: "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

This verse if a good litmus test for determining what we should and should not be doing. I do not believe this verse is all encompassing as people are very good at saying they are doing things for the glory of God but are not actually. I find it difficult that someone could steal candy for the glory of God. Not that God cannot use theft to further His Kingdom (Jacob/Esau) but this verse cannot be used as a justification for our actions.

Agreed I mean I love my Xbox I love playing halo and call of duty especially minecraft but there for a while it got inbetween God and I. I chose to play Xbox instead of study and pray which wasn't good considering I'm a youth pastor and I would wait till Saterday night to throw together something. but I had to push myself into studying and prayer and I'm so glad I did Xbox doesnt compare to the spirit of God.

I struggled with MMO gaming addiction in college and it grossly pulled me away from God (curse you Everquest!! :)). I didn't even realize it at the time. I played a good 8-10 hours a night on top of 3-4 hours of courses and 2 hours of lab while working part time through it all. I rationalized it because I was still keeping up with my responsibilities with the youth group, but my personal life with God was in dire straights.

Thankfully, God provided the catalyst to put me on track with going to Ukraine and, through the help of my wife, aided me in being able to establish priorities. I still game a lot, but have regenerated my priorities and relegated gaming to nights only and never have a game running in the background like I used to. Praise the Lord for freedom from even the seemingly ok addictions.

Amen. It was refreshing to go away for a couple of weeks and not have access to gaming. I need that every so often.

Matthew 6:19 "Stop storing up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.

Thats helped me allot with my life.

Heart hast to be in all the right places with man then god and not objects. Cant love god if you don't love your brother.

Last edited:
Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Back