How should we deal with jehovah's witnesses?

silverleaf

Dear friends, today, I was visited again by the local jehovah's witnesses. As usual, they came round with the whole family door to door. For some reason, they never really introduce themselves as jehovah's witnesses, and it isn't usually featured prominently on their brochures either.

Anyway, so they came knocking, exchanged "good morning"s and this time they just said something along the lines of "we are having a free event known as <insert name of talk here> and you are invited, please have a read of this" and handed me a flyer. Can't exactly remember what they said, not that I want to.

I didn't argue with them this time, and they weren't here to talk either, just handed me a flyer and left. But now on hindsight I'm thinking maybe I should have made a stand. Perhaps replying with "good morning" and "same to you" after they said "have a good day" and left would make me guilty of promoting their idolatry.

A couple years back, when I was new to this experience, I even said "I appreciate you doing the work of God". Until I looked up what they were, I realized I really shouldn't have said that and brought guilt on myself. I then looked up their cult and know a little more about their heresies now and know why that fear and sinking feeling is justified.

I don't really know what to do and would like some insight/experiences/thoughts on how to deal with this matter in future. They will come around again, it's just a matter of time, and being cultists I don't really want to make enemies of them either, there's no telling what satan might prompt them to do, and I really don't want them to "remember me in their prayers". I don't want someone, despite their good(?) intentions, praying to potentially demons about getting me to join them in their heresy.

Suffice to say they ruined an otherwise perfect morning, but more importantly, I just want to know what to do next, get rid of my guilt of "welcoming(?)" them, and get on with my study schedule.

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)

Gentleness and respect - just like Phoenix said, "Lovingly."

Indeed, gentleness and respect. I take it it's alright to reply to their 'good morning' then. Apparently, some Christians believe we should rebuke them harshly, not to wish them on their way.

Jehovah's Witnesses, more than any other false religion in my opinion, have made a science out of arguing religion. You'll never win an argument with a Jehovah's Witness, because they are so blinded by their own sinful pride that they can't be reasoned with. The best thing to do is briefly witness to them and then move on. If you're weak in the faith, it's best not to even speak with them, because most of them are masters of deceit and will fill your mind with all sorts of lies and perversions of the Scriptures. Most Jehovah's Witnesses have been thoroughly trained how to counter and attack every fundamental doctrine in the Word of God. They do so to their own destruction!
http://www.soulwinning.info/fr/jw/arguing.htm
I have found this to be somewhat true when I once argued with them, partly wanting to make a stand, partly because I was afraid of their teachings. They could counter my then simple arguments with ease. They even sowed doubt in my own beliefs because I was weak spiritually (and am still far from strong, but getting there :p)

"I believe the God of the bible, and that the bible is the word of God. I don't believe in the extra-biblical teachings the JWs preach. "
"We believe the bible too, and there is nothing 'extra biblical' in our beliefs, bring out your bible and we can debate them."
I now know this is not true, but I was stumped. Sure enough they believe their bible, which is a *modified* version of the bible that preaches Jesus did not indeed rise from the dead and was in fact Archangel Michael. Wish I had known that then, but even so they would probably just counter it with another argument.
http://www.gotquestions.org/Jehovahs-Witnesses.html

The last thing I want to do is hate them, because the painful thing is they seem to be genuinely working towards what they believe is the will of God. That zeal is certainly something I don't see very often in my church. It's sad to see them leading their whole family, children in tow, astray and working so hard in futility. What's even more sad is from my previous encounter, they used to be a Roman Catholic family. While I may have my own disagreements with Catholicism, seeing a whole family fall from grace is somewhat mortifying.

So I'm not sure what I should say to them next time they come round.

Last edited:
2 John 1:10-11
If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

My original response was to feel free to have a discussion with them, but keep it focused on Jesus - He is the major difference between true Christians and Jehovah Witnesses. Then I found this excellent article:

Witnessing to the Witnesses must be done in Christian love and with compassion. Remember, they have been deceived and believe a false gospel, yet many have a genuine love for God and are utterly sincere in their beliefs. Do not be afraid of them (1 John 4:17-19), but let them know how much you care about their eternal salvation. Share your Christian testimony with them. Talk to them, discuss spiritual matters with them, but do not allow them to conduct what they describe as a Bible study, which is actually a study of their literature. Be aware they will not read any non-Watchtower literature or attend a church service. They say they will only accept what the Bible says, but their New World Translation has been drastically altered to reflect their theology, and every reference in the New Testament to the deity of Christ Jesus has been removed. It always comes as a surprise to them to meet people who love the Lord, display the fruit of the Spirit, and use the Bible as the basis for their faith (Hebrews 4:12). Speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). Direct all your conversation to the person of Christ and the need to put total faith in what He has done. Do not allow them to lead you down the path they wish you to take, namely, considering how you can survive Armageddon to live on a paradise earth. This is not the gospel. Above all else, pray for them.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/witnessing-Jehovahs-Witnesses.html

2 John 1:10-11
If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Wow, what is the context on that? That can't be applicable here, seems so off from the whole of scripture.

Wow, what is the context on that? That can't be applicable here, seems so off from the whole of scripture.

It actually is referring to false teachers of Christ, so it does apply, but you need to look closely at it. It is saying do not help false teachers by bringing them into your home or wishing them God speed.

Not receiving them into your home is referring to not giving them shelter and helping them on their journey to present a false Gospel. In those days, while any teacher was preaching, they would stay with people along their journey. I would probably equate that with helping financially today, as that is what helps any teacher now with spreading their teachings, but it really more refers to helping them in a way that will help them continue to preach their false teachings.

The second part is quite simple; do not ask God to bless their journey to teach false doctrine. So, as a whole that passage means do not help false teachers preach their false doctrines.

Last edited:
Dimederin is correct. It is referring to false teachers who come to town and live with someone - eating their food and staying in their home - posing as teachers of the faith. Don't support them.

But it does not mean don't be polite or gentle or respectful. Just don't support them.

You can try to debate them, but I don't recommend that unless you know the scriptures fairly well and apologtic techniques very well. They can twist you in knots.

I'm a big believer in what Paul wrote to Titus, "But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned." Titus 3:9-11 (NIV)

I generally tell JW and LDS, "No, thank you. I have a personal relationship with Jesus and a church where I worship Him," and I politely close the door. That is after years of inviting them in to debate. It is a pretty fruitless endeavor.

Dimederin is correct. It is referring to false teachers who come to town and live with someone - eating their food and staying in their home - posing as teachers of the faith. Don't support them.

But it does not mean don't be polite or gentle or respectful. Just don't support them.

You can try to debate them, but I don't recommend that unless you know the scriptures fairly well and apologtic techniques very well. They can twist you in knots.

I'm a big believer in what Paul wrote to Titus, "But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned." Titus 3:9-11 (NIV)

I generally tell JW and LDS, "No, thank you. I have a personal relationship with Jesus and a church where I worship Him," and I politely close the door. That is after years of inviting them in to debate. It is a pretty fruitless endeavor.

+10

Thanks for that, next time they come round I will just say "No, thanks, I am a Christian who attends church regularly, and I strongly believe in the Trinity - God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit".

Thankfully they aren't really argumentative unless provoked.

In my youth, I would do some horrible and rude things to these folk. Nowadays, I avoid arguing my point. I pray that they are being used to fulfill God's works in their own way. We can all be a bit misguided on our beliefs and I typically just thank them for their interest in my well being and advise that I have a relationship with God the Father. I agree with Abba's choice of scripture in that arguing with them does little good.

I had heard at some point that they actually take rudeness as a sign that they are doing a good job. I think they feel it is classified as persecution and its almost like a point score which improves their standing. I do always wonder about a religion that stated that X number of people would get into heaven, when they clearly have exceeded that quota. I wonder if their heaven has a waiting list? Forgive me. I am probably way off. I have little solid knowledge of their beliefs.

In fact, I couldn't really tell you the difference between denominations. I go to a Baptist church, but I consider myself just a Christian. I'm not sure I understand denominations or their purpose.

In my youth, I would do some horrible and rude things to these folk. Nowadays, I avoid arguing my point. I pray that they are being used to fulfill God's works in their own way. We can all be a bit misguided on our beliefs and I typically just thank them for their interest in my well being and advise that I have a relationship with God the Father. I agree with Abba's choice of scripture in that arguing with them does little good.

I had heard at some point that they actually take rudeness as a sign that they are doing a good job. I think they feel it is classified as persecution and its almost like a point score which improves their standing. I do always wonder about a religion that stated that X number of people would get into heaven, when they clearly have exceeded that quota. I wonder if their heaven has a waiting list? Forgive me. I am probably way off. I have little solid knowledge of their beliefs.

In fact, I couldn't really tell you the difference between denominations. I go to a Baptist church, but I consider myself just a Christian. I'm not sure I understand denominations or their purpose.

Uh oh, you opened up a big door there. I'm sure we could write several books on the subject of the differences between denominations. However, there is a signficant difference between JWs and Christians (even if they self define themselves as Christians). All the various orthodox Christian denominations (including Catholics) believe in a fundamental set of beliefs. For some, these are summarized in creeds, creedal statements, confessions or documents by other names (my denomination publishes a book called We Believe which summarizes our doctrine). Various denominations will differ on non-central issues such as means of baptism, which can be a source of conflict among different groups. At the core of these various statements of faith are certain non-negotiable issues such as the Trinity, the personhood of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the divinity of Jesus, His virgin birth, death and resurrection etc. The JWs, while accepting their own version of the Bible (which has been translated and altered to support their theology), do not accept some of these central doctrinal issues they deny the Trinity, divinity of Jesus and the personhood of the Holy Spirit, just to name a few. So, I can understand the different responses here. I personally hate to give up on someone, but at the very least I think we should express the love of Christ by being civil to them and send them on their way if you choose not to engage them. Another thing to keep in mind is that salvation is up to God, He can use that civil "blow off" so to speak to reach someone with the truth of Jesus Christ.

Back