• It's much faster

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Dude! Did you buy a new server?

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • It's slightly slower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's much slower

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Dude! A snail is faster than this thing!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hescominsoon

CGA\TOJ Hosting Manager
Let me know how it's running now..:)

Just to let you know we went from a dual pentium 3 mahcine to effectively 4 cpu's. We doubled the ram(plus it's faster ram) and increased to the fastest hard drives you can get right now..:)

It's working great..Thanks for the hard work y'all do behind the scenes to keep us up and running. It is muchly appreciated!!!

The first load was slooooooow, once it got up and running it seems to be going faster.

I would look at a following things to perhaps speed things up:

//php junk
Code:
; Output buffering allows you to send header lines (including cookies) even
; after you send body content, at the price of slowing PHP's output layer a
; bit.  You can enable output buffering during runtime by calling the output
; buffering functions.  You can also enable output buffering for all files by
; setting this directive to On.  If you wish to limit the size of the buffer
; to a certain size - you can use a maximum number of bytes instead of 'On', as
; a value for this directive (e.g., output_buffering=4096).
output_buffering = Off
I turned this off, my site seems even snappier and drupal didn't complain et all.

Using a php cache (ie eaccelerator) means that php doesn't compile for each page visit, vBullitin probably requires zend optimizer which reads encrypted php files and provides the same functionality.

//mysql junk
Code:
low-priority-updates
skip-innodb
skip-ndbcluster
skip-bdb

Since I use nothing but MyISAM I disabled all the other database engines. Lower priority updates seemed reasonable under the idea that if someone is requesting data it is more important to fill that then to write information.

Code:
thread_cache_size = 12
key_buffer_size = 5M
query_cache_size = 8M
query_cache_type = 1

Setting a cache means that data doesn't have to be read and processed from the disk (or cache) which is tremendously faster. Caching threads means that a connection doesn't have to wait for a thread to spawn.

If the forum has the option of using mysqli over the mysql functions then you may get a performance increase over using that.

it hadn't built up any cache when i sent out the 2000 messages telling everyone to get onboard. Plus vbull caches as well and it has to rebuild the search index all at the same time. Try it again and tell me how it runs..:)

it hadn't built up any cache when i sent out the 2000 messages telling everyone to get onboard. Plus vbull caches as well and it has to rebuild the search index all at the same time. Try it again and tell me how it runs..:)

Seems to be running better now. Optimizing MySQL is one of the best performance improver i've done. At work we regularly query in 50000+ rows of data at a time and it is tuned such that it hits cache pretty much every time. With each page access on drupal it does at the minimum one query and at the most 18 or so.

The lowest query I have involves joining 5 different tables with the main one being well over 150k rows, that takes all of about 2 seconds because of the cache while everything else executes pretty much instantaneously.

If you haven't done so try hooking in the graphical administration tool and look at the query and key cache hit rate.

Wow! What a HUGE difference. I clicked on my SoE GW shortcut and the forums popped up immediately. No wait time at all. Awesome! Nice job, HCS!

The pages are loading much quicker. I would say there is definitely a measurable return on your investment.

I haven't really noticed much to be honest, but I have not been paying attention either.

But, I appreciate all the work HCS!!

I know that the server response time is very fast compared to the old one, I do not usually expect Blazing speeds or reaction being from Germany, but this is a nice change, Well Done :)

Pinging the site averaged at 38ms on my in-laws wireless...I will ping when I get home and post results...

I can't vote because I didn't pay enough attention to the speed before to notice any change after... I can't say "Dude! You bought a new server?" because I knew about it before hand xD

Now if I could get someone to upgrade my CPU so I can finally play Oblivion, which I've had for about a year or more now and never yet played... :(

Last edited:
Back