Homosexuality - Christianity

Pabmeister

NOTICE :I am NOT making a thread to make any discrimination nor ANY disturbance in this community. This is a SERIOUS THREAD and I would muchly appreciate if it stayed that way.If the boards decide to filter my words, I'm talking about same gender love.

I am new at this relegion, and am actually not quite sure of all the rules yet ^.^;; Please explain to me if homosexuality is allowed in Christian beliefs.

This question came to me when several greif players were making cracks at homosexuals in the toj1 server the other day, and I decided to bring this to the boards for further discussion, because :
1) I was asked to take it here
2) It distrups play
3) this sort of conv. isnt allowed on the server. ( or is filtered anyways)

I am simply curious if Christians are allowed to be Homosexuals, and what the general Christian view on Homosexuality is.

Well thanks again.
Pabmeister.

As you may have gathered by the controvery in Christian society, there are many different ideas about the morality of homosexuality and the place (or lack thereof) of homosexuals in the Church. On these boards, I expect you'll get ideas ranging from 'gays should be arrested' to 'welcome and accept the sinner but not the sin.'

The issue of whether homosexuality is right or wrong is dependent, from a Christian perspective, on what God thinks about it, and who you define as a homosexual. Biblically, people often quote

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lev 18:22  Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

which seems to make itself rather clear, until you consider

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lev 11:12  Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

This is usually followed by an arguement over moral vs practical laws, the conservative position usually being that laws regarding homosexuality were of a moral nature, whereas laws on kosher seafood and so on were cultural and of practical benefit only to people of that time. If, however you are to ask, 'But what is the material damage of mutual loving and respecting same-sex relationships?' you're likely to be met with blank stares or comments like lolz AIDS is teh gay-plague lololo.

On the other hand, liberals will often point out that Jesus cared especially for social outcasts and sinners, such as prostitutes and tax collectors. The conservative counter argument usually follows the 'He loved them but hated their sin,' line.

Another main topic of debate is the question of 'who is a homosexual?' There's two main schools of thought; that homosexuals are the way they are because of a range of factors including upbrining, etc, meaning they can therefore be 'cured' of their evil, wicked ways, and the other view that homosexuals were born as they are. This leads on to the homosexual lifestyle issue - is someone who feels attracted to members of the same sex but does not act on those feelings a homosexual?

Regardless of which moral stance you adopt towards homosexuality, I think it's vital that we treat everyone with love and respect. It doesn't matter whether homosexuality is a sin or not, it's plain wrong to, as you mentioned, make jokes and derogatory comments about homosexuals.

Hopefully I didn't created too many strawmen in oversummarizing some of the ideas you're likely to encounter here, but I thought I'd give you a brief synopsis before this thread degenerates as many others on homosexuality have done.
smile.gif

Ermm...we already have 2 or 3 threads like this going...methinks you should just take your discussion there instead of starting another.

Most of what Drelin wrote is accurate.  The only thing I'd like to add in is that prohibitions against homsexuality carried over from the Old Testament Law to the New Testament guidelines of examples of non-Christians.  

Again, as Drelin stated there are two schools of thought on homosexuality, that it's a choice or that it's a genetic abberation (the ultimate in naturve v. nurture arguements).  Regardless of which way it turns out to be, the Bible is clear on it's stance of sexual relationships.  Any sex outside of marriage (using the traditional definition of marriage) is sin.  Yet that sin is no greater than any other sin, and those who commit it, should never be ostracized or mocked but they should be accepted in a Christ like manner.

Another aspect is that as Christians we should not have sex outside the confines of marriage, and also under scripture a husband to have his own wife, and a wife is to have her own husband.

But some states are against it. If it was sexually, i'm pretty sure its a big no to be a christian.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As for being Christian and Gay, I think only straight people should be Christians, so it won't ruin your scriptures/laws/rules/ whatever they are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We don't want their kind achieving salvation?

IF your refering to me, you could at least said my name after your question. IF not, this is what I have to say about it.

I wouldn't know or care if homo's did became christians, all i said are big IF or If It was me..
Fact that my dad, my own 'papa' is homo! and he was a christian! thats very disturbing. especially since I've lived with my mom through my whole entire life.
mad.gif

What I think is JUST ME! If their kind was sexually to opposite sex, heck yes. if not, then no.

Pab! Good to see you on the boards! Here are some verses that are enough for me to see that the Bible says 'no' to homosexuality. Hope they help. If you need/want more, I'll see if I can find some.

Lev. 20:13
Romans 1:24-28
1 Cor. 6:9
1 Tim. 1:9-10
Jude 1:7 (or Jude 7, whichever way you want to look at it)

Corpfox, the only part of your post I understood was the bit about your father being gay and you living with your mother.

My comment was in reference to what you said, but I was not refering to you with 'their kind.'

I interpeted this:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If it was sexually, i'm pretty sure its a big no to be a christian.

to mean that you don't think homosexuals should become christians. Was that not what you meant?

actually a Homo Sexual COULD go to heaven.

As the Church we need to love the person and hate the sin.

If a Homosexual accepts Jesus Christ as his lord and savior, and is baptized (which are the requirements set forth by the apostles in ACTS) then they should go to heaven.

Just because we are Christians does not mean we are sinless it means we need to sin less

men/women doing it seems fine.
men/men or women/women doing it makes me sick.
If, as a Christian, are the men/men and women/women allowed to do it?

what do you mean by allowed Corp.
As in there be an openly gay church and its OK, then NO

Were as lets say your dad Comes to Christ, realizes he is living in sin (if he is a homosexual he is) and repents and trys to stop his lusts then YES. that is allowed.

Of course, people have made the point that living in a homosexual relationship is as sexually immoral as getting divorced / remarried.

i really dont see anything wrong with devorice/remarried....

i see homosexuality more like sex outside of marriage or an affair.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] really dont see anything wrong with devorice/remarried....

Well, that's not the way Jesus saw it...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mar 10:11  So he said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.
Mar 10:12  And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Yeah, I think drelin is right. Its kind of ironic. I never knew divorce and getting remarried was wrong until just about a year ago. The church doesn't really press that issue. I think the church should address that issue just as much if not more then gay marraige.

The foundation of the Protestant faith was over the right to remarry and divorce. Deny that and we might as well go back to speaking Latin!

Personally I prefer the handfasting ceremony performed by Wiccans - you get married for five years or for so long as love remains in both your hearts. What's the point in staying married without love?

Eon

Back