Hi everyone I just want to ask a question

N

newcomer

Would "Civilization III" be considered a suitable game for Christians? The violence in this game is at a very abstract level, and it is actually possible to win the game without much fighting. The only potential problem is that the civilization series is sometimes referred to as "god games", although personally I think this is an misnomer. Even though you control an entire civilization, your amount of control is still no more than all the dictators and rulers throughout history.

What do you think?

i see no problem with any civilization game, as you take on the role of a leader/ruler. id say play it, as the game can be very fun.
biggrin.gif

I used to play the original Civ, myself. I agree, I don't really like the name 'god games', but I understand where it comes from. I tend to think of them more like you are the leader/commander of some nation or army. Sometimes, these games can also have some references to other gods, but the game is a representation of that particular nation which may have worshipped a particular god.

If you were to actually to place a game like Civ 3, or its counterpart Alpha Centauri, made by the same people, it would be under Turn-based strategy. Perhaps the closest you can get to a so called 'god game' is to play one of the Sim games, such as The Sims, or Sim City, but in truth, those are actually just sim games.

Yeah there isnt anything wrong with 'god games' I think. They just call them that because you control the people, and build things inside the game. I own Sim City and Age of Empires II, and I see nothing wrong with them.

Back