hey

|CoR|Braveheart

hescomingsoon (and other members to who's name escape's my mind) i just thought i would tell you guys that you finally persuaded me into using Linux! :D and im glad you did, i have restored many "broken" computers by simply installing Ubuntu 8.10 on them! and now people think im a genius :eek: thanks for showing me what a great operating system it is :)

P.S. i still use Vista for my main rig though:p

GPU and CPU are my main concerns...

I never had issues as my motherboard controls my fan speeds. Most GPUs control their own fan unless you override their settings via software (which I would never recommend as they run way too hot).

I am pretty sure fan/tempature is supported via ACPI, it is just a matter of if your motherboard is [fully] supported and selecting a front end to controlling them.

ubuntu has a bad habit of introducing regressions in their newest versions and 8.10 isn't any better. I usually wait for a few months for them to get the regressions fixed.

I never had issues as my motherboard controls my fan speeds. Most GPUs control their own fan unless you override their settings via software (which I would never recommend as they run way too hot).

I am pretty sure fan/tempature is supported via ACPI, it is just a matter of if your motherboard is [fully] supported and selecting a front end to controlling them.

I am using an 8800 GTS, and the 8800's are known for having fan control issues, I cannot even get it to work right in windows without using RivaTuner...

Sounds like thats a card issue not an OS issue.

The drivers nVidia made for the 8800's have issues with fan control, and they have refused to fix it...I have looked into this quite a bit... I just wish there was a program like RivaTuner for linux...

Yeah, I have, and time after time I see that people have to write their own fan speed control utility because no one has made one... :(

Back