HELPZ!!!

XionTawa

Okay, let me give you some back story, then we can get into to what I need help on. If you just came here to answer my question, then skip to the end. It's been awhile since I have put much time and effort into an MMO, and I am finding myself wanting to give SWTOR a bit of time. My job requires me to be using a mouse and keyboard in a very repetitive way that causes a lot of pain in my hands and wrists. Using Controllers/Gamepads causes little to no plain. Using a keyboard and mouse in an MMO type way causes not as much as work but still a lot of pain. So, while I don't really have the money to be spending, I was looking into things to make using abilities a little easier. I have tried mapping a gamepad for the game, that failed. I tried using alternative key bindings, that also failed.

So, I have 2 options, a peripheral that give me a thumb joystick for movement with a lot of easy access keys for abilities all from my left hand. Or, A mouse with a lot of buttons for abilities.

Or, do you have more knowledge on these issues and have a better alternative?

Thanks for your time.

I have used the Nostromo N52te and the Razer Naga, and promptly returned my Naga 3 days after buying it. I liked the idea of freeing up a hand with the Naga, but my problem was it was way too easy to hit a button or the wrong button with the small buttons. I found that when I used the Naga I had to be extremely careful not to press too hard when moving it around which ended up being nearly impossible for me with fast-paced action.

I have been using the Nostromo n52te for a few years now, and LOVE it. I only use my keyboard for typing in chat. It takes a little getting used to initially...you are more conscious of what button does what (same with Razer though as well). The gamepad allows me to react quickly especially in PvP, which is specifically what I bought it for. Love the thumbstick in combination with mouselook.

I'm not sure what your price range would be, but I'm using a $70 Logitech mouse (I had gift cards and nothing else I wanted from the store) that has 12 customizable buttons, and changeable/removal weights that let you pick how easily you want the mouse to be moved. I have fairly big hands, so I have it on maximum weight so I don't send the thing flying. It has three thumb buttons, three index finger buttons, five scroll wheel options (scroll up, down, click left, right, and mid) and right click. It also has a toggle button for smooth or incremented scrolling with the wheel. I'm not sure from what movements your pain is coming from, so I'm not sure these will help...

Logitech G500

Also using a Zmerc KU-0453. Couldn't find a product link (only drivers kept showing up), but as you can see from the photo below, it has a gamepad on the left hand side. The entire reason I bought this keyboard is because it has the 7 through - keys above the 1-6 keys. No more reaching across the keyboard for that additional ability, all the keys are now just as accessible as 1-5. I also assigned "=" to the Q.save key to act as the twelfth toolbar slot that WoW and SWTOR have (just to the right of the 6). This not only makes it easily accessible, but since the button is different than the others, it's a good place for me to put a unique ability and remember to use it. Prt Scr button is right above that one for easy (and sometimes accidental) screenshots.

Combine that with the stacked Ctrl, Shift, and Alt keys, and that's 48 hotkeys/abilities I can use without even moving my left hand. This keyboard cost me about $30, but I haven't seen it in stores since. I absolutely love it though.

merc.jpg

Last edited:
Steel series bought out that keyboard, calls it the merc stealth now and jacked up the price to $80!

You can still find the original ideazon merc but it's not supported I believe.

Last edited:
yea in wow and rift i never had a problem with my keys, but SWTOR has us using a TON of abilities, and so many that proc off others or can only be used on certain mobs that i am going to have to buy a new keyboard to play efficiently. I have been using my standard keyboard on my laptop and bought a cyborg R.A.T. 5 mouse that I love, but a keyboard with better reachable keys like Marinus posted is something I am researching for right now. So anyone else feel free to post some more keyboards and prices and give some suggestions on whats worth the price and whats not! :)

I tried a bunch before I decided that I liked none of them over a standard keyboard. I had the Merc Stealth and it had the best layout with the most buttons by far, but it had a sticky key issue that required a RMA. After it was off for return, I had buyers remorse on the $80 and didn't get a replacement.

The side boards, like the g13 and the nostromo both have limited keys in my opinion and I like to chat so swapping hands around is kinda lame. I have more options with a standard keyboard and using ALT/SHIFT/CTRL with mouse buttons.

That is the solution for me, get a decent multi button mouse and use alt+mouse button liberally. It actually feels great to use ALT+"mouse wheel up" for 1 skill and ALT+"mouse wheel down" for a similar skill, then the same with Shift+up and CTRL and so on. Then do it with all the mouse buttons and you have a fantastic amt of options.

I have all my buffs assigned to keys+mouse wheel rolling, its a fun way to do it.

Last edited:
A friend got me the Logitech G19 keyboard for my birthday last year, while it is awesome, it doesn't really help much in this area.

I actually have this, which I have had for years.

I just haven't used it in probably 3 years.

While it may help, mostly the issue is with my mouse hand, which is why I was looking at the Razer thing like it, because it has the Joystick. But idk, maybe I will try this out tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, and I use the Mx518 gaming mouse. I have honestly debating buying a tablet and pen for mouse control, since that is what we use at work now, and it is a lot less painful to use.

Last edited:
A friend got me the Logitech G19 keyboard for my birthday last year, while it is awesome, it doesn't really help much in this area.

I actually have this, which I have had for years.

I just haven't used it in probably 3 years.

While it may help, mostly the issue is with my mouse hand, which is why I was looking at the Razer thing like it, because it has the Joystick. But idk, maybe I will try this out tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, and I use the Mx518 gaming mouse. I have honestly debating buying a tablet and pen for mouse control, since that is what we use at work now, and it is a lot less painful to use.

woah the FANG pad! I want one!

Last edited:
I just picked up a Wacom Bamboo Capture. With 2 intentions, 1 to use it with "touch", and 2 to return it within a week.

I use a Wacom at work and it gives me little to no pain, but using the pen really can't do much for gaming, so I am trying out the touch.

So what mouse would someone recomend. Also I have an issue with the Windows button location on my keyboard, are there any that do not have a windows key between the Alt and CNTR key?

I need a new setup too, BUT I need to find a set up that will make me quicker in MMO's.

This one for sure!
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.244052300/categoryId.54536600

• 6 MOBA/action-RPG optimized mechanical thumb buttons
  • 11 total programmable Hyperesponse buttons
  • Special switches in buttons for 250 clicks per minute
  • 10 million click life cycle
  • Razer Synapse 2.0
  • 5600dpi Razer Precision 3.5G Laser Sensor
  • 1000Hz Ultrapolling/1ms response time
  • Approximate Size : 116 mm / 4.57” (Length) x 70 mm / 2.75” (Width) x 46 mm / 1.81” (Height)
  • Approximate Weight: 134 g / 0.30 lbs

With CTRL/ALT/Shift modifiers I don't see needing 12 buttons on the side like the original Naga, this 6 button version with mechanical buttons is way better.

Last edited:
The tablet worked really well, and actually gave me better control than a mouse, and I didn't have the horrid pain I have when using a mouse, however, after about 10 mins, I started having a pain just as bad in a different part of my hand.

So then I got out the Zboard pad thing I have, and tried it, the software hasn't been updated in years, and is kinda broked, and since it is seen as a keyboard, I cannot open it in Xpadder.

So I am working on rearranging my keyboard and mouse to try and find a better, more ergo, setup, and just about everything isn't working. :(

So what mouse would someone recomend. Also I have an issue with the Windows button location on my keyboard, are there any that do not have a windows key between the Alt and CNTR key?

I need a new setup too, BUT I need to find a set up that will make me quicker in MMO's.

I actually took out the windows button on the left side because I kept accidentally hitting it during Counter-Strike. I just use the right hand one that is not in the way.

Back