help

Shyfroggy

i need some help...any info would be greatly appreciated.

been having issues lately with the computer so decided to check for updates...it recommended that i install the service pack 2 for windows vista ultimate. then i got a message that said i needed to save everything and close out of all open programs so that it could install and that it would take a couple hours/couple restarts to complete....i hit the red x in the corner of that box because i needed to use the pc and just planned on going back to the updates window before i got ready to leave to let it run while we were out. well when i went back it was no longer an available update. when i looked at the update history it has that SP2 as being cancelled...when i went to the microsoft website to try and download the SP2 that way, it says a window should pop up and start downloading...that window pops up but it ends up timing out.

i am at a loss and don't know what to do...any suggestions?

thanks for your time and your help.

vista sp2 COULD take that long depending on many factors. First do turn off any anti-anything you have running. If your machine has at least a gig of ram it shouldn't take more than an hour tops. If you have not installed vista sp2 you are waaaaay behind on updates. I would set aside a couple of hours and get all of them done.

I tried that website...when i click on the download button it has a little window that pops up that should start the download or should give me the option to save it and do it later....only that little window never gives me that option, it times out.

Hescominsoon - I don't have anti anything running...babo was able to download sp2 and it didn't take too long...my problem is that when it asked me to install and said it would take a while i closed it out because i wanted to do it when we left the house and i wouldn't need the computer...only when i went back it said it had been cancelled...so if it was cancelled how do i go back and allow it to update? i tried windows update and i tried downloading it from the microsoft site...would firewall prevent any of this? we haven't changed any of the settings and the update did show up - i guess evidently by clicking the red x it cancelled it, it didn't allow me an option later to resume it.

Back