Help for an Altoholic

Brydon

Legacy of Elijah Officer
So, obviously I want to roll at least one character of every profession... and maybe one of every race/gender combo... which is turning into a lot.

Currently, at $10 per character slot and $60 for the game with 5 slots (we assume) it's cheaper to just add on 5 extra slots... But, we keep seeing deals for $50 for the game, and it's sure to get to $40 eventually.

Aside from the cost and being able to share the Mistfire Wolf elite... are there pros and cons I don't know about to having either a second account or having a lot of alts on one account? Has anyone else got a plan for this?

well since you can buy gems with gold, just through playing you could eventually buy all your character slots with in-game currency and not need to spend real money on the extra slots.

bank slots are shared between all characters on an account, which means moving things from one to another is easy, but that making more characters wont get you more storage (other than just inventory), making a second account would give you a second bank. Note that it should be possible to make a guild just for your account that you can use for storage, it will just take a time commitment.

In GW I had 28 toons on main account, and 6 on alt acct. With that said, I think the need for an alt acct won't come soon. And with the extra slots by the time I need one the in game gold will have been sufficiently amassed for that.

1 account. No question. You don't want to have to buy 3 expansion packs to get your alts all on the same level. It's easier and cheaper to pay the extra money now than having to buy expansion packs. $50 once now, or $50 now, and when Cantha comes out, and Elona, and the North.. etc.

oooh... Good point, Stc. I hadn't thought of that... Very clever.

P.S. The world will fear my TENGU!!!!

Someone asked the same question on Guru and that was the prevailing answer. It's those "hidden" costs that make it a deal breaker.

Being that there are going to be elder dragons in GW2 should there not be dragon-lings possibly showing up (hopefully able to be charmed)

Isn't that a bit like consorting with the enemy?

Of course, there were two "good" dragons in GW, right? One was a turned general of one of the great dragons, though, if I remember the book.

Yea, Glint was something of a double agent and we don't know too much more of Kuunavang since Cantha has been cut off. I think we will be learning more about Glint and her babies in GW2.

Tip for Brydon: What I intend on doing is to budget out a certain amount each month for GW2, say $15, and hold yourself to it. Over time you'll get to have all the slots you want, plus experience some of the side things (dyes for me ^^) as well along the way.

I'm discovering I am a raging altoholic. I'm kinda glad they limited us to five character slots, because it's forcing me to make choices.

I may want more slots some day, but for now I'm trying to focus on two to three characters, so it doesn't take me years to reach 80 for the first time.

I'm hoping the re-learning curve gets better, as it takes me a while to figure out how to use each character when I start playing them again. Hopefully, eventually, all know them well enough that switching between doesn't cause too many hiccups. Should be nice for PvP, with this games emphasis on dodging. I should have a pretty good grip on what the most powerful effects of several of the classes look like.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the re-learning curve gets better, as it takes me a while to figure out how to use each character when I start playing them again. Hopefully, eventually, all know them well enough that switching between doesn't cause too many hiccups. Should be nice for PvP, with this games emphasis on dodging. I should have a pretty good grip on what the most powerful effects of several of the classes look like.

I noticed the same issue with the "re-learning" curve. About the only character I can jump straight into without thinking is my Ranger, probably because I played 40 levels of ranger in the betas :) I have a feeling after enough time with each profession and our preferred weapon combinations, we'll develop a sort of "muscle memory" with them.

Yes, I definitely have an easier time getting back on my Guardian than my Ele. Not only does the Ele have a lot more skills on a single weapon, I'm still jumping around from weapon to weapon trying to find one I want to stick with.

It's one of the things I'm not particularly fond of with the Ele. On my Guardian I can equip a good close range, high damage weapon and a long range support weapon, which pretty much covers big DEs, small group DEs, solo heart questing, and personal story without having to change anything. That means I'm pretty much always using the same 10 weapon skills.

With the Ele, I've been using staff for big DEs and some of my story quests where there are a lot of allied NPCs, then switching to scepter/dagger for general leveling, and dagger/dagger for those story quests where I'm stuck in tight quarters and can't really kite. That makes for a whopping 52 weapon skills I'm regularly playing with!

Personally, I picked up the 3 extra slots because I didn't want to focus on one toon like I did in GW1. I have 5 characters that are in the teens and none that have hit 20...so holding to that alright. We'll see what happens once I start liking one the best, but I like them all...

I expect at some point I will pick up a 2nd account in the future, depending on cost and storage needs. I'm not sure if account-bound items will pose a problem, but hello permanent banker!

That's good to hear, Ryan. As people are dinging 30 and starting to do dungeons, it's good to know there are others taking it slow with a bunch of toons like I am. It's hard not to feel a little pressure when you look at the guild roster and see everyone 15 levels ahead and halfway to max crafting when I'm still trying to get past refining basic mats.

It is kind of nice playing whatever toon strikes my fancy at the moment.

I think I'm finally getting to the point where I'm not deleting toons and making new ones anymore, so it should be steady progress (if slow) from here on out for me.

Back