Hello

Xymnas

Trieb of Judah Starcraft Series Chapter Co-leader
Hey random question. But what kind of computers are you guys using to run FFXIV? I got a duel core slow as ever computer and looking to upgrade. Any suggestions? looking to get one around 600$-800$ if possible. And if its better to build one let me know!

Thanks

Nice to meet you! I also had a dual core processer until a few months ago when I upgraded specifically for FFXIV and video editing.

Whether you buy one or build one though, it will still cost over $800 :/ I searched for about 2-3 months through stores and could not find one that was exactly what I wanted for gaming -- I'd find ones that were dual cores trying to sell like quad cores with more memory, ones with quad core and not as much memory, never a good enough graphics card. I didn't want to buy a computer and then have to upgrade it right after and then lose warranty - so my fiance built mine for me. It's running 14 great and I didn't have lag issues that others experienced in beta.

Hope to see you on FFXIV

OK, well i can easily spend more than that, I just figured i'd try and set a price range. I've somewhat built my computer i have now, with a nvidea graphics card 9800, 6gb's of ram, and had 750gb harddrive installed. But it seems to be running really slow with it atm, and when i run around in game i can see the frames. SO.... its kind of annoying. However I do have wow, sc2, FF14 and a few other other programs on my computer that could be taking up space...

In any case i'm look to upgrade!

Thanks for the info!

and yes see you in game!

Sounds like you have some nice specs already, I would just upgrade what you have, it would be cheaper than a new gaming computer.

I'm running on a 27" iMac until I build a gaming computer which I am planning on doing next year.

Single Core, Dual Core, and Quad Core has NO effect on your gaming experience...it is all about the speed of the processor... My dual core processor is much faster and benchmarks better than most quads because it is a 3.2 GHz ...I just got it recently... :p

Why? Does FF14 not have multicore support? A lot of games do now.

I was under the impression that GHz is dead and the future is cores baby.

I know in eq2 since I am running duobox I can assign 2 cores to instance1 and 2 cores to instance2 of the game and get pretty decent performance that way.

Last edited:
I would say it is your graphics card. I believe it is on the min spec list, but that may be bottlenecking you. Do you have your setting on the lowest?

I have a core 2 duo 2.9ghz and a gtx465 and it runs fine on highest setting.
I am going to update my processor but not sure how much better my performance will be.

I am running a 3.2 GHz X2, a 512MB 8800 GTS, and 4GBs of RAM, and am running the game, flawlessly, at the highest settings...and it looks beautiful...

Last edited:
So what kind of prossesor do you recommend? And yah I got it running lowest settings. And what kind of graphics car do you run with also?

So i have a duel core intel pentium D CPU 2.8 GHz, 512MB 8800 GTS. Though i had 9800.

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
Hey I'm Xymnas' brother. We both have the same computer and I'm running into the same problem... Extreme lag. I can't even run WoW on the default settings.

I also have a Duel Core Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHz.

4GB of RAM DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT Graphics Card

I was under the impression that GHz is dead and the future is cores baby.

Negative. The processor speed is still key. The problem is that the processor companies have come to a road block. They have not been able to increase the speed while keeping the processor size and heat down, so they have resorted to increasing the number of cores for now. I would bet that we will start to see a rise in processor speeds again in the next year or two.

You all do know that nVidia cards to not automatically change fan speeds, and if you do not manually maintain your fan speed and keep the temp down, your video card will not perform well at all... As I said, I am running the 8800 GTS 512MB and running the game flawlessly at the highest settings... If you are not manually controlling your fan speed, get this: http://www.evga.com/precision/

Negative. The processor speed is still key. The problem is that the processor companies have come to a road block. They have not been able to increase the speed while keeping the processor size and heat down, so they have resorted to increasing the number of cores for now. I would bet that we will start to see a rise in processor speeds again in the next year or two.

Will be interesting to see. When I was in class for various IT certificates a few years ago, the teacher was convinced the industry was heading towards cores and done with speed due to the heat/size issues. Since then 4cores came out and now 6cores and 8cores and that MacPro has 12cores, I tend to think he was right.

I am sure the multi-core support in games will only get better and better making the cores the winner even more.

Last edited:
I've got a buddy pass i can send your way when you get it! Let me know

Just for comparison, this is my machine for FF XIV (home cooked)

AMD 4-core CPU at 2.66GHz
4GB RAM (1266MHz)
500GB Disk
ATI 4850 (Probably weakest link)
Windows 7x64

With settings fairly low it runs OK. (Dont know if there is some option in game to get fps reading)

2102_1bcd9be3eddfd54f.png

Back