HDTV recommendations

Ah, right. I'm not bothered by seeing the black bars. I'm just saying, even if the image moves around, I don't want black bars (since they're going to be there) to burn in if I had a plasma.

Samsung LN46C630 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (Black)
$987.99 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
Unfortunately, that's out of our price range. :( Which is a shame, because it looks like a fantastic TV.

Last edited:
...Get an LCD Monitor. I went through two 32' screens from Wal-Mart (name brand) that ran me about 600 bucks. They always had something wrong with them. Switched to a 23' HP Monitor, gives me the resolution, quality, and picture I want, all without the weird colors and glare. And it was about 480 bucks cheaper. No qualms whatsoever with Blu-Ray movies, DVDs, etc. Works good for PC games too. ;)

Though if you want something for your living room... prepare to shell out the big hondos. I say start small and move up. >_>

Thanks for the links. :)

I checked out the 48-hour Amazon sale, but didn't see any (what I would consider to be) amazing sales. Even if I had, I'd probably still wait until Black Friday in anticipation that retailers are going to wait until then to pull out the best sales.

I'll keep an eye on Black Friday Info, though. I watched it last year (or was it the year before?) and picked up a few awesome deals.

...Get an LCD Monitor. I went through two 32' screens from Wal-Mart (name brand) that ran me about 600 bucks. They always had something wrong with them. Switched to a 23' HP Monitor, gives me the resolution, quality, and picture I want, all without the weird colors and glare.
32" is right out, let alone 23". With a 10.5-ft. viewing distance, I have a strong preference for 46" or 47" sets over 40" and 42".

For an office, sure, it would be great. For a living room? Wouldn't work. :(

The move picture around bit I was talking about is only with one line of pixels - you don't see the black bars - and thats with normal tv watching and Xbox360 gaming.

I don't know about blue ray dvd though.

We're back to looking at plasma TVs because they're considerably cheaper than the LED-lit LCDs. They're also cheaper than the LCDs and, if user reviews are to be believed, deliver better image quality. My main concern is black bar burn-in when watching 4:3 ratio video or playing games on older consoles without widescreen support (Playstation 2, Dreamcast, Playstation 1).

I got a 42" vizio for a rather good price, and it's got a better picture on it than my brother's samsung that cost more money.

just sayin

It looks like the Samsung LN46C530 is the model to beat. Consumer Reports named it a "best buy," it has all the inputs I want (component, composite, HDMI, VGA, and USB). If there's an awesome sale on the model on Black Friday, this is likely the set we'll pick up (unless, of course, we find a better model before then).

So if you were waiting to make recommendations, now is the time to chime in. :D

Last edited:
Great TV, I have the 42 of the same year model and it's solid. I wish it was 120Hz, but honestly don't have much problems with motion blur watching Blu-ray.

I can't find info on the Samsung LN46C600F3FXZA anywhere else. If it's the same as the LN46C630, then that may be the TV we buy.
It's not the same:
Key differences include no ethernet port and no composite input on the C600. The C600 also does not feature the AnyNet+ remote included with the C630 model.

The differences probably won't be a big deal for the average consumer, but I still have older consoles (including a Playstation 1) I want to hook up to the HDTV.

:(

/me throws things at Best Buy and Samsung

So, unless I can find an awesome sale on a LN46C630, it's back to the drawing board.

Man, the Samsung UN46C6300 would be a sweet choice (though still a bit outside our price range) if not for the silly "either composite or component, but not both" ports on the back. :(

I guess manufacturers don't care about people with old consoles, eh?

Same TV except one (650) has Wi-FI.
Wi-fi isn't a concern as I have my router on my entertainment center (where my desktop PC, PS2, and PS3 are directly wired into the network).

The key difference (at least for me) is the Ultra Clear Panel. Multiple sources say that the C650's UCP is more reflective than the C630's matte finish.

My wife and I are going to see if we can take a look at both models side by side in person and make our decision based on that.

Back