having a little trouble between the 2 verses

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
to me, i feel like this is gonna be a stupid question but it is something im kinda stuck on.
Proverbs 16:9 says,
9 In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.

but proverbs 3:5-6 say

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;

6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

It seems a little contradictory to me that apparently a man in his heart he plans his course, but if we trust in the lord and lean not on our own understanding, and our path is made straight.... whos planning the path?

A path of wants = is your plan, then to become a path of want = you to follow his.(few see this change in trust and the key is using his Love from the heart)Love With All Your Heart! The journey to now or into forever is the path we walk and my hearts planning on holding the hand of Jesus someday!

you have to take the first verse you posted in context. Here's all the preceeding verses:

Pro 16:1 The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.
Pro 16:2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits.
Pro 16:3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
Pro 16:4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.
Pro 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
Pro 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.
Pro 16:7 When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.
Pro 16:8 Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right.

There is no contradiction at all when you take the verse into it's proper context. The Bible isn't meant to be used a verse at a time..all the time...which is a modern failing of Christians today..including me..:)

Aye, that did seems a little bothersome when listed as 2 separate verses, but in the whole context it becomes a lot better to understand.

Back