Haven't finished up your monthly JP yet? Do it the easy way.

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
So, we have less than a week. Are you behind on your JP for this month? If you haven't done 20+ yet, you probably aren't going to next week, either.

Instead, park those alts! Just get them to LA and sit them by one of the puzzles there, and poof, instant credit when you log in. I'd recommend Urmaug's Secret near the Smuggler's Waypoint. Remember, you don't even need to complete it, just "discover it" by getting to it.

"But Ryan, I'm so far behind I can't catch up this lazily! There just aren't enough days!"

No problem! Since LA is a popular tourist trap, all you need to do is go back to the character screen and pop back into a different overflow for extra credit per character. Be sure to stop by the chef NPC on your way out and pick up a cheese wedge.

I still have a few to go myself, but my problem is that I haven't done any of the fractals yet. Unfortunately, due to parenting issues, my play time may be even more limited this week, not going to make it this month :(

I may have to run a few more just to get the JP points though, I think I'm over 20 so far and most on one char.

I got all the jumping puzzles.. thanks to your awesome tip. The only thing left for me to do on the monthly is killing world invaders. I joined WVW last night and ran around following people and helped kill stuff. And I still only have a few killed for the month. Not sure what i'm missing. But I will be hanging out in WVW for the next few days :( Did I mention I loath PVP lol. :p

If you're getting in WvW battles but not getting kills, you probably just aren't "tagging" enough enemies.

AoE is king in that category, so just try to put yourself where there is a lot of action and spam that stuff. Since we usually control most of the map these past few weeks, I'm thinking the quickest thing may be to wait for one of the other teams to attack our keep and Arrow Cart them into oblivion.

That explains it! Healing is completely unrewarded in this game. :(

...unless you are a guardian and let your allies go down while you hide behind a pillar...then we're talking XP, protection, and regeneration as far as the eyes can see, and now daily progress! Theoretically speaking, of course.

AoE is king in that category, so just try to put yourself where there is a lot of action and spam that stuff. Since we usually control most of the map these past few weeks, I'm thinking the quickest thing may be to wait for one of the other teams to attack our keep and Arrow Cart them into oblivion.

Had my one chance last week to get in game since the accident. Since I'm not getting to play much, I figure it was silly to do anything toward long term goals, so I'd just hop in WvW for a bit. Unfortunately, there were queues for everything but our home. Got there, and found it so dominated by SoR that there was very little to do. Every time I'd run toward a pair of crossed swords I'd arrive to find a bunch of dead invaders and the last SoR people running off in different directions. :p

Gotta try the server-wide TS sometime. The map chat was very minimal.

Yes, and this is why WvW lost my interest a few months ago. Matches are not fun for the winner or loser in a dominated match. You're either queued forever or undermanned. WvW needs something to change this, because it's hard to find a good matchup. And now that transferring a guild is pretty much impossible due to cost...we don't even have the option to find a good matchup.

My personal solution to this would be to allow people to guest from a busy server to an outmanned/losing one that they are not matched up with. Most people hate the idea of someone playing for another team, but if you think about it it'd solve three issues. We could lighten the queue on SoR while getting to play instantly and help a server that needs it...could get a whole guild event going.

Other options would be to change scoring. For example, have a week-long match consist of 7 day long matches, and the winner of each day gets a point. Ties could be broken by overall score.

Interesting ideas.

February's updated is supposed to be the big WvW update. Hopefully they have some significant changes to help. I remember at least one has to do with spawning events for the underdog side that attempt to disrupt the dominant. It'll be interesting to see if they can manage it, since it seems very difficult to make PvE matter in the middle of PvP.

I saw a developer quote a while back that mentioned balancing WvW toward the defender. While that may be realistic, it never seemed like good game design strategy. You don't want people giving up on holding objectives because it's too hard, but you do want liquidity on the map. Things changing hands with reasonable frequency is fun. Real sieges that involve waves of attackers breaking against a castle's defenses aren't, really. For either side.

There should be systems in place that increase the difficulty of holding territory the more you hold. The boardgame Risk plays that way, at least in the midgame. The more you expand, the larger the border you need to defend, and the more thinly the troops are spread. It feels like WvW rewards winners a little too much and creates a feedback loop of win and get more tools to keep winning, lose and dig your hole deeper and deeper.

I agree with you. I don't care what is "fair", or "realistic". It's a game; I play to have fun. Now, we certainly don't want to make it so difficult to hold an objective that it is no fun taking it. However, they need something to keep things a bit more close so that all involved can have something to do.

Got into our borderlands last night with Giga, Widget, and Red...remembered a bit why I loved WvW in the first place. Borderlands was scarce, we tried taking a defended tower with the 4 of us...did okay for a while. Started hitting supply camps and building up a train of players and directed them right into the tower...down in 2 mins. Felt great!

Yes, with the regard to "fairness". IMO, that belongs in sPvP. WvW should be about making as many memorable battles as possible way before it is about which server is "better". I know not all WvW players agree with that, though.

A better team will still win. I can see being upset about losing thing you worked for and paid to upgrade. Personally I think gold should stay out of WvW upgrades, or at least give a non-sacrificial option. Badges of Honor could be used to upgrade keeps, for example. That still requires individual sacrifice, though.

Ugh...WvW just has so much potential, and is awesome. I hope they can find the right balance and tweaks, and it'll be the most amazing game experience ever.

Back