Hardware Recommendations for SWTOR?

SKLURB

Called from Darkness Web Developer
Is it possible to get a decent motherboard, processor and RAM that will run SWTOR well for around $200-250? Would need to be compatible with a GeForce 9800 GT PCI card.

My daughter needs an upgrade as she does not have a multi core processor and her MB is probably too far out of date which in turn makes her RAM incompatible. I know a bit about hardware, but not as much as many of you who really know how to squeeze in a good bit of power for the money.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Gonna salvage the PSU? I'll try and figure a build out. What is the case size? ATX, mid atx, micro atx?

Yeah, the power supply, case, hard drive 1 = IDE, hard drive 2 = SATA, DvDR, and video card will be reused. Just need to figure out a MB/CPU + RAM setup for SWTOR for around $200-$250. Would like a minimum of 4GB RAM, preferrably 8. I am looking through several different types, but I am not sure exactly what is best specifically for gaming. (I figure if it runs games it will run anything educational, and her music mixing software)

MB for a ATX mid tower

I am considering this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231402
I have it in my PC and am happy with it, unless there is something else to consider. It's $50 which leaves about $150-$200 for MB/CPU

Last edited:

That looks awesome except for one problem: my daughter's main hard drive is IDE and her secondary is SATA. =[ I don't see an IDE port on that MB

See this is why I am glad I asked here. I probably would have purchased some Fisher Price MB by mistake.
How badly do I want AM3+? What is AM3+?

I am not schooled in the arts of AMD chips near as well as ewoks (I believe), therefore, I shall leave this to him.

Though I will say AM3+ is a newer socket. It would give you more upgrade potential if you ever wish to acquire a more powerful AM3+ CPU.
Most of the AM3 stuff that'd be fit to do the job of playing SWTOR would pretty much be the top of the food chain. Whereas the AM3+ cpu would be somewhere in the middle of the food chain for AM3+.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I saw this post and my dad built a desktop exactly one year ago and needs a new video card to be able to play SW:TOR. This one that he has isn't powerful enough. Could y'all help me find one? He can't. Would I need to put all the stuff on here that built the computer? Like what type it is?

He's the computer man..I'm not..

AM3+ is the latest and greatest Bulldozer processors. You don't "need" them. The previous generation AM3 is still awesome for today's games. The 2 I listed are highly regarded and will work with that board.

Thank you SO MUCH for helping out. I went ahead and ordered the Phenom 2, the Ripjaw RAM and the MB w/ the IDE port on it. My daughter will be very happy she will be able to play SWTOR on her own PC!

Narius: As for the video card....I use a Radeon 5700 and I can play SWTOR at the highest settings. I am sure there is something newer out by now, but it's very reasonably priced.

Very nice, that black edition phenom II will be great for SWTOR. Down the road when it is time to upgrade again or if you are wanting even more power, you can try unlocking the cores, there is like a 75% chance of unlocking to 6 cores on that model. With proper cooling this thing can easily go to 4.0GHZ!

Last edited:
Back