HardDrive Temperature

SLNT_FIR

I recently got this a pluggin for Google Desktop and it shows my harddrive tempertaures to be approximately 50-55*C constantly.

I am thinking, isn't that a little hot? That's about 100-130*F. ouch. i touched the inside metal casing for the hd's and it... is hot.

Suggestions? is it normal? if it isn't, then what should i do to fix it?

55C is the heat threshold for hard drive, failure can occure for any 3.5inch hdd at 55C.

michael, well the harddrive cage that holds BOTH harddrives, is hot when i touch it. after about 2-3 seconds, i have to take off my hand. otherwise = burnination. ack! :)

sooo talon, are you saying that its too hot?
3.5inch is all regular harddrives right?

yes, thats too hot. Lucky you havent had a hard drive failure yet. At about 50C the silcon liquifies.

3.5 inch hard drives are standard desktop hard drives.

"ucky you havent had a hard drive failure yet. At about 50C the silcon liquifies."

You're scaring me. Soooo what should I do? My dad doesn't really care. Lool. Not a good thing, our harddrive bay has 2 hardrives in it and they obviously both produce heat.

One is a 5400 80GB which stays about 4*C lower
and the other is
A 7400 Maxtor 200GB which now is about 54*C.... :eek:

Anything basic i can do to help it until summer comes?

oh and could you tell me if there are any weird conditions which are causing it to heat up so much?

not the silocon boards, the silicon on the bottom of a drive, that is used to protect the nodes and things of such, its like the consistancy of glue, and usually light blue. That liquifies at 50-55C. It doenst fall off but it gets hot enough to touch and it sticks to your finger. I've done that before on 1 of my drives.

ooh cool. so its 5$ for the fan and another 5$ for shipping?

and where would it fit on the computer? on the outside i assume? i have an hp pavilion 750n with the weird semi-opaque cover on it... anyway, my mom is nagging me, i'll brb with mroe info. maybe a picture of the comp.

harddrive.jpg

hope that works. See, i have a weird casing, but see where the floppy drive opening is? and if you can see, there's a littlebox shaped thing behind it. that's my harddrive cage. and the inside picture,

***oh and btw, the inside picture, its cutoff because the computer is slid behind a wood wall thingie if you got confused***
there's two drives on top of teh harddrive, a dvdrom then a cdwriter
and on the left, there's a huge fan vent thingie.

and that's it. so for the fan, i woudl fit it like whhheere?

Back