Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Silly question to ask, of course

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Love Char Mesmer LOL
I will be on as soon as I get up (usually around 5 or 6am) wife would guilt trip me for a week if I got up at 3 to play :(
But doesnt mean I cant play for 14 hours straight 8)

Y'all missed the IF in the question. I have no doubt they will choose a more sane time, but the question was just to see how hard core ya really are. As soon as the servers for North America go live I will be there.

Knowing how popular the game has become already, they may NOT pick a more sane time. They may intentionally keep it at 3am. It will mean less people starting off, less "flooding" of the starter areas, and those getting up that early will most likely be your hardcore fans that can't wait to get going (meaning, they'll likely clear out of the starter areas quickly making more room for the 'less-hardcore fans' who will be filtering in as the day goes on).

So 12am PST (like some sales on Black Friday) may actually be a very good strategic time for Arenanet.

For me, I really really really want a shot at getting my favorite one-word names and I fear they'll be popular enough that they'll be taken within minutes. For that reason alone, I'll be on as soon as they open the door.

However my biggest fear is this site...... www.gw2status.com. I don't know how "official" the launch time is but if their postings are true then Americans have no chance of getting any "rare" names. They have the server launch at midnight on the 25th. Exactly midnight. For your time zone. In other words, the Oceanic servers come online at midnight, Sydney Australia time. The European servers come up at midnight GMT and the American servers come on at midnight EST. :( :( :( :(

Um, so the "how hardcore are ya?" question changes a bit now. How much is a plane ticket to Sydney?

For me, I really really really want a shot at getting my favorite one-word names and I fear they'll be popular enough that they'll be taken within minutes. For that reason alone, I'll be on as soon as they open the door.

This is why the very first characters you make you should only put the name you want and then create it ASAP, skip all the customization. That way, the name is yours, and then you create your less popular-named characters.
Later, I would even wait till a few hours before the second launch (you could even wait till days after that too), then you delete your special-name characters and recreate them fast with the customization you want.

The reason to wait is so the flooding of people making characters is down to a minimum before all the non pre-purchasers come in to play.

This is what I plan on doing anyways...since I'm sure some people can customize a character faster than I can.

Last edited:
Depending on when teh actual launch time is i will be on long enough to reserve some names. If it is something like 3 am then its name reserve and off to bed. If its more like midnight (eastern) then I will be on for a bit before ehading to bed. I have work in the morning so cant really do an all nighter.

However my biggest fear is this site...... www.gw2status.com. I don't know how "official" the launch time is but if their postings are true then Americans have no chance of getting any "rare" names. They have the server launch at midnight on the 25th. Exactly midnight. For your time zone. In other words, the Oceanic servers come online at midnight, Sydney Australia time. The European servers come up at midnight GMT and the American servers come on at midnight EST. :( :( :( :(

I checked the site and the times posted. That doesn't seem to indicate midnight in every time zone - it looks more like everything is based on an unannounced/unofficial start time of midnight Eastern time on the 25th. That site actually puts the Pacific start time at 9:00pm on Friday the 24th.

I don't think that is going to happen - so I don't think you have to be concerned about that site's prediction.

p
it looks more like everything is based on an unannounced/unofficial start time of midnight Eastern time on the 25th. That site actually puts the Pacific start time at 9:00pm on Friday the 24th.

Same time. PDT is -3hrs EDT. So if the game were to be opened at midnight EDT, then, for you and me, we'd be playing before we go to bed at 9pm PDT. I vote for that time!!

And I have serious doubts as to whether or not the servers will actually be on early of the announced time like in the BWEs. I really can't see them giving a leg up to the OCD people trying to sign on every 30 secs two hours prior to the time given.

Those won't be ready/released until after launch. I'm almost 100% positive I read that officially somewhere.

The smartphone app, will it be an authenticator or some kind of account/character viewer/manager?

i will be on and getting all names in and working on putting coin together for guild. Let me know who i need to send money to start or depending on who is on I could work on getting it started and transfer it over to whomever. Let me know.

Last edited:
That'd be me Shamgar. I plan on being there at midnight to get a running start out of the gates. If just to get my names and the guild started.

As for the app Reets: not much has been said about it/them. People are asking for an authentication app. Anet has said they were planning on implementing some sort of app to chat in-game without actually being in-game. Also giving guilds out-of-game support like calendar's, clocks, etc. So if they are still planning on doing this, I expect multiple apps after release.

Worst News Ever
Those of you looking forward to headstart, it will begin on August 25 at 00:00 PACIFIC Time. ~RB2
Why did Anet have to be stupid about this, I'm so mad right now I'm going to get a refund!

Oh and there's this too
We will be conducting a stress test on Thursday, August 2 from 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time to 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time.

Unlike previous stress tests, we will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed. Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch. By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game. Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game! ~RB2

Last edited:
Apparently, no cheating by going to bed early Friday afternoon to wake at 3am est for live: newest info now says they may open servers as far in advance as 3 hours early.

Back