Happy Easter!

Melinarlia

So I felt compelled to post this. So be prepared to be crit with a wall of text....from the Good News of course. =)

"Is was the third hour when they crucified him. The written notice of the charge against him read: THE KING OF THE JEWS. They crucified two robbers with him, one on his right and one on his left. Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, "So! You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three three days, come down from the cross and save youself!" "

-Mark 15: 25-32​

Just wanted to pause. Here, where Mark mentions one of the insults the people said to Jesus, mocking Jesus for saying that he would destroy the temple and build it back up in 3 days. Little did they know, the temple He was referring to wasn't the temple in Jerusalem....but His own body. He was prophesying His own death on the cross and then His glorious Resurrection three days after.

"At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land and until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" - which means "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" "

-Mark 15: 33-34​

When Jesus says this, it indicated the point at which the Son of God was separated from God the Father spiritually. When this happened, Jesus took all the sins of the world and mankind on himself. He didn't say this out of surprise or despair. He knew this would happen. And think about how it felt for Him. It probably felt like being left alone somewhere by your parents and all you could do was watch helplessly as they walked away.

"With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last. The curain of the temple was torn in two from top o bottom. And when the centuion, who stood ther in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, "Surely this man was the Son of God!" "

-Mark 15: 37-39​

The loud cry that Jesus makes could be his last words as stated in John 19:30, "...Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." Back then, they had a system of sacrifices for the attonement of sins. They would write down all your sins on a piece of paper and keep it until you had paid for all your sins. Once you did that, they wrote "paid in full" across the paper and handed it to you...kind of like a receipt. The word Jesus used for "finished" is the same word for "paid in full." That means that at the very moment He uttered these words, he took everyone's list of sins and wrote "paid in full" on it...even on those that have yet to accept Him. He paid for our sins....we just have to accept Him and that piece of paper that lists our sins but says "paid in full."

Something else that happens is the splitting of the curtain in the temple. In the temple there was this place called "the Holy of Holys" or "the Most Holy Place." This was a place resevered for God. Once a year, the chief priest would go in there and make a sacrifice to renew the people's covenant, or contract, with God. They separated this place with a huge curtain. It was the same curtain that was torn in two when Jesus died. This symbolized that when Jesus died, he opened up the doors to God. We don't need to have someone else to do things for us when it comes to God. We can have a personal relationship with Him.

Mark 15 ends with the burial of Jesus.

"When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome brought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus's body. Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb and they asked each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?"
But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.
"Don't be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. But go, tell his desciples and Peter, "He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you."
Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid."

-Mark 16:1-8​

So you might be wondering why the women were going to the tomb with spices to annoint Jesus' body. Annointing a dead body was pretty much like bringing flowers to a grave. But as you know, bodies decompose and it usually smells. Since most tombs were cut into a rock, it wasn't underground and you could walk into it when you paid your respects to someone who had died. The women were just doing that.

They came to the tomb and found that the stone (it probably weighed at least a ton) had been rolled away. At this point they're are really scared that someone had stolen His body. The young man inside is an angel. He is there to tell them that Jesus had in fact risen from the dead, and that He was now very much alive. Jesus' resurrection is very important for many reasons. He kept his promise to rise from the dead. Because He did this, we can believe that He will keep all of His promises, including eternal life in Heaven with Him and God the Father. Jesus' resurrection also ensures that the ruler of God's eternal kingdom will be the living Christ, not just an idea, hope, or dream. The fact that Jesus could rise from the dead, it's an assurance that we will be too. The power of God that brought Jesus' body back from the dead is available to us to bring our morally and spiritually dead selves back to life so that we can change and grow. The resurrection also provides the church with something to witness to the world. When we evangelize, we don't just tell stories and teach lessons of this man, we tell of the reality of the resurrection. That Jesus did indeed rise from the dead.

That is all I wanted to share and I hope this wall of text didn't crit you for too much. Have a happy Easter everyone! THE LORD IS RISEN!

Just wanted to share a praise song that fits well with Easter, IMO...

In Christ Alone by Newsboys

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
'Till on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost it's grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Brought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
'Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

Happy Easter to you Meli and to all the Redeemed!! Thanks for the Good News Meli in both Word & Song!!

Back